Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

British Hammered Coin Find : Guidance Sought

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 236Next Topic  

United States
2 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2021  10:19 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add plpbecks to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I recently discovered two coins that were in a collection of mostly modern foreign coins. I'm unfamiliar with british hammered coins, but was pointed to this possibility after some research online.

Several of the local coin collectors I've spoken with have not been much help, apparently there are few people or shops in my area (Ohio) that trade in these old british coins.

Would anyone on this forum have any advice as to how I might have someone knowledgeable in british hammered coins weigh in on this? I understand there is a good chance these are counterfeit of some sort, but would like to know for certain.

Coin 1, Larger of the two:

Diameter: ~26 mm
Weight: 3.7g

Coin 2, Smaller of the two:

Diameter: ~18mm
Weight: 1.7g

Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
542 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2021  10:46 am  Show Profile   Check PaddyB's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add PaddyB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I can't say I am an expert in this area, but I am confident the larger coin is a replica of some sort. The trilobed punch mark to the right of the King's hair is a recognised trademark of a replica maker, although I have forgotten who. I think it is a copy of an Edward IV groat, but not certain.
The smaller coin might be OK. It would be a penny of one of the early Edwards - I II or III, but not sure which. Struck in London. The ridge showing on one side looks a bit suspicious, as if a cast copy, but that seems better on the other. If you are able to post pictures of the edge that might help.
Learn More...
United States
95801 Posts
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2197 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2021  7:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am thinking they are likey fakes too. America was only settled from 1620 onwards, so how the heck would VF looking medieval coins of the 1350- 1485 era turn up, unless they were dropped by a coin collector a few years ago?

The Inscription is too worn to tell which king it is (No doubt a Henry or an Edward) but the style dates it to anytime between 1351 and 1485 (Henry VII coins had an imperial crown).

The first coin is groat size and weighs 57 grains, taking out the chunk it would be a 60 grain groat issued between 1412 and 1465. This makes it anytime from the last part of Henry IV's reign to the start of Edward IV's reign as this was when a groat weighed 60 grains (3.98 grams) but medieval coins were often clipped and underweight coins were not unknown.

The second coin weighs 26 grains, which is too heavy for a penny, yet I see Edwardvs on it, so its 1289 - 1351 The heaviest pennies were 23 grains in the Saxon era, by Edward 1 their weight was down to 22 grains and dropped to 18 grains by 1351. The fact this coin is too heavy and in the reign of the 14th century kings, England was at constant war and coins were debased at times, there is no way they would deliberately issue overweight pennies. So it is likely a fake.

The style leads me to the groat is the style of Henry V or Henry VI (1413 - 1461) or the earliest coins of Edward IV (to 1464 before a weight reduction in 1464) and the penny is like Paddy said an Edwardian coin of the late 13th to mid 14th century.

But of course they are likely fakes. Hope this helps.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Edited by Princetane
01/18/2021 7:45 pm
United States
2 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2021  1:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add plpbecks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the guidance, while it's always disappointing to find an item is likely a fake, I've enjoyed learning about this class of coins!
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
548 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2021  1:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hogarth to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Edited by Hogarth
01/19/2021 1:40 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 236Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.4 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05