Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Aloha From HawaII, Inherited Alot Of Old Coins

First page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 23 / Views: 521Next Topic
Page: of 2
United States
22 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2021  8:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kahawai to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Jbuck I know exactly what you mean!! Thank you
United States
9 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2021  3:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add someconcerns to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry about your loss and congratulations on your inheritance.

As has been said above, do not clean any coins. Further, try not to handle any coins which MAY be uncirculated, except by the edge and try to prevent them rubbing against any other coins. If your grandfather had any unused foldable coin holders of cardboard and mylar, you might consider putting uncirc coins in those, to prevent further handling, as I know you are partly like the kid in a candy shop.

Decades ago, when I worked part-time in a coin shop, people would bring in accumulations of coins they had inherited and I would feel ill whenever anyone said they "helped" us by cleaning some of the coins. Cleaning in some instances included even using an eraser on the surface of a coin to remove tarnish, which we actually consider often to be desirable "toning" on some of the silver and copper coins.

Best of luck. Do lots of reading and learn about what you have. Some of the coins may have sufficient value to justify renting a bank safe deposit box. Do not tell a lot of people about the coins. Some people get, shall we say, greedy.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2069 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2021  08:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry about your grandpa's passing. It looks like he had "the passion" for collecting. Thanks for sharing some images.

The only thing I feel is important to add to a lot of good information above is to be careful of PVC in plastic coin holders and bags. It makes the plastic soft and pliable but can ruin the coins by putting a film (sometimes greenish) that might not be able to be removed.
Words of encouragement are one of the major food groups. We need to consume them regularly to thrive and grow.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2923 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2021  08:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice collection, deserving of care.
United States
22 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2021  2:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kahawai to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@someconcerns thank you very much. I was thinking about a safe deposit box or a big safe here at my house as well bc my grandfather had them in a safe deposit box. When the will was read, my name was the only one who was given rights to what was inside and my cousins were so mad and jealous!
Valued Member
Canada
80 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2021  09:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silver Nickel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry for your loss. It looks like you got well rewarded for helping your Grandfather, good job.
United States
22 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2021  3:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kahawai to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@silvernickel yes I did, he was a man of many sories of the places he visited.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
16225 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2021  6:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To the Forum.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 23 / Views: 521Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.4 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05