Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Are Nickel Coin From France And The Netherlands And Such 100% Nickel?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 189Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
111 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2021  9:55 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add JoeTheLucky to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Are old coins made from nickel from such countries above made out of 100% nickel or what purity of that metal.

Maybe these nickel coins could be a subsidiary of the silver subsidiary of a sort of gold standard.

I mean, old 1 francs from France from the 60's-70's are worth about 10 cents in nickel.
Edited by JoeTheLucky
01/18/2021 10:08 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1172 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2021  10:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add That Coin Dude to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If something is labeled as being 'nickel' it is most definitely of high purity
Keep track of your collection: https://en.ucoin.net/?ref=Ux0E0if

My collection: https://en.ucoin.net/uid112788
A friendly coin dude that is here for you!
A coin collector from the Midwest USA.
I specialize in minting varieties and coin identification.
I am online 3+ times every day for 6-12 hours.
My best US coin find: http://goccf.com/t/387871
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
18130 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2021  11:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a stash of about a kilogram of pure nickel coins from around the World.
Problem with pure nickel as a coinage metal is that it is relatively hard, and working dies have a shorter working life, and thus the coins cost a bit more to produce.

The heaviest pure nickel coins issued into wide scale circulation that I can find are the 50 Francs of French Polynesia and New Caledonia - 15 grams weight.

Canada pure nickel Dollars 15.62 grams.

Examples of common pure nickel coins of Europe:-
Netherlands 1 Guilder
France 2 Francs.

Valued Member
Poland
401 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2021  03:24 am  Show Profile   Check norantyki's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add norantyki to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agreed with the above comments vis-a-vis purity. As for your comment about the gold / silver standard, these coins generally replaced silver pieces of the same size / approximate weight in the 1960s, as currency devaluations paired with rising silver prices meant that the silver content began to exceed the face value of the coins.

Nickel was chosen for its durability, as well as the fact that it could be used to produce coins bearing similar specifications to their silver counterparts (an important aspect for the vending machine industry). The choice was not, on the other hand, made based on any consideration of intrinsic value (other than removing silver from coin), but there is a relationship.
Dealer, collector - Coins, Banknotes, Watches, Stamps, Antiquities - Norantyki.com
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
8108 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2021  04:43 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have several French BU sets from the 1960s - 1990s in their original mint packaging. The metal content of the half-, one- and two-franc coins is shown on the packaging as 'nickel pur' = pure nickel.
Pillar of the Community
Sweden
1055 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2021  08:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add X2an to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I sold a decent bunch of these to a scrap dealer last week and to be sure they tested the metal - 98% nickel they said, enough for them to buy the lot as pure nickel. Don't know what the 2% impurity was about since they cut into the cores of the coins and tested that, I don't know their methods/instruments at all.
Valued Member
United States
111 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2021  09:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JoeTheLucky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I mean alot of those coins have very little numismatic value so I suppose you could sell them to a refiner of something.
Pillar of the Community
United States
598 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2021  10:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The melt value of a Dutch 1 Gulden nickel coin (1967-2001) is about $0.11.

Coin weight: 6 grams.
Current Ni price: $17.97/kg.
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 189Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.56 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05