Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1947 Ml Is It PMD? Or Is This A Mint Issue?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 329Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1184 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2021  10:27 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add 47P7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
My long last coins finally arrived from Europe. (shipped Nov 04)
what are these marks going vertically?

Now, it is easy to say PMD...But for whatever reason, I am not so sure. What do you guys say?
also, what grade would you give it?
there seems to be also an extra WL at the bow
thank you all.
H

Edited by 47P7
01/18/2021 10:46 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1178 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2021  10:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add That Coin Dude to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 3rd pic shows bag marks from the reeding on a coin. The vertical lines, are they raised or incuse?
Keep track of your collection: https://en.ucoin.net/?ref=Ux0E0if

My collection: https://en.ucoin.net/uid112788
A friendly coin dude that is here for you!
A coin collector from the Midwest USA.
I specialize in minting varieties and coin identification.
I am online 3+ times every day for 6-12 hours.
My best US coin find: http://goccf.com/t/387871
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1184 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2021  10:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 47P7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
3rd pic is an enlargement of the issue on pic # 2 in question. raised and look like denticles?
Edited by 47P7
01/18/2021 10:49 pm
Valued Member
Canada
95 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2021  11:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bond632 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Possible flow lines in IND IMP. Is the coin a proof?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3756 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2021  11:42 pm  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
More interesting are the die repair lines on the obverse through " IND. IMP" .
Same phenomenon is found in Peace dollars from the 1920s .
Known as " Scribbling" .... Give us a closeup of those !
Also nice Cameo portrait of George VI . Almost wonder if that
Is an Obverse die used to strike Specimens , then repaired for
use on business strikes .
Edited by Pacificoin
01/19/2021 12:02 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1757 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2021  07:42 am  Show Profile   Check nickelsguy's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nickelsguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with Jack. Suspect tool bounce on the Reverse die. Obverse die over worked and this would be VERY EARLY strike. I bet even nicer in hand! Nice H!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1184 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2021  11:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 47P7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
thanks so far guys,
Very interesting. I will take a few more close-ups and post them soon.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1184 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2021  12:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 47P7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
here is a closeup. it is about the best I can do with my Macro lens
Jack and Mike, this most probably does confirm your guesses?
so, what about the vertical issue that looks like denticles on rev going from midship-aft down to the first L?
H

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3756 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2021  1:13 pm  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Confirmed !
As to the reverse not quite sure , but leaning towards what
Mike says in his comments .
Would like a photo of just the Cameo portrait .
I have a very early strike of a 1952 that was surely struck off of Specimen dies .
Just have to dig it out !
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1757 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2021  4:42 pm  Show Profile   Check nickelsguy's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nickelsguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
as for grade........63 uhc
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 329Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.48 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05