Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Whats The Deal With Netherlands And The Netherlands Antilles Pre-Euro Coins

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 166Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
111 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2021  8:50 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add JoeTheLucky to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I've noticed it before, but I was going through my 2 and a half pounds (For my friends across the pond and up north, I have about 1.15 kilograms)
of nickel coins from the Netherlands and France trying to
make a list quoting the nickel melt value per coin and I
noticed that the coins from the Netherlands Antilles were larger than the stuff from the Netherlands, do y'all know why this might be and were these minted in the Netherlands?

Another question, would you guys know if the Netherlands Antilles 10 cents and 2.5 gulden coins are more rare than the 25 cent and 1 gulden, because I've searched about 50lbs
(22.5 kilos) of world coins without finding, I think, any of the top 2 coins (I have found more than 2.5 pounds of nickel coins in all the 50 pounds).
Learn More...
United States
18653 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2021  8:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@jtl, one way to think about rarity is by comparing overall mintages. Yes of course you are really interested in survivorship, but assuming that all of these coins have disappeared from use at the same rate means that this method is at least directional. Those mintage numbers are generally available on numista. For example, between 1970 and 1985, roughly 19 million 10 Cent coins were minted for the Netherlands Antilles:

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces3444.html
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Valued Member
United States
111 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2021  9:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JoeTheLucky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah, I just was curious if anyone else had similar results to mine.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
18141 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2021  9:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Canadian pure nickels nickels are harder to find these days.
Almost all have been withdrawn.

Most of my accumulation about a kilogram of pure nickel coins have come from dealers' junk bins.
Due to CV-19, they don't come this way anymore, and besides, the dealers have become wise to me, and shifted them to higher priced junk bins.

I accumulated pure nickel because it is not much used. (copper nickel is much preferred as a circulation alloy).
With hindsight, it looks like I won't make much money from selling my nickel stash, so I guess I will just keep it.

As an aside I am still looking for an Aruba square 5 Florin (nickel bonded steel unfortunately), to add to my square coin collection, of which I have about 60 different types. Already have three different types of Iraq pure nickel square 500 Fils.
Learn More...
Australia
13556 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2021  10:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
...do y'all know why this might be and were these minted in the Netherlands?

I don't know why the coins were of different sizes. Perhaps specifically to prevent the two coinages from mixing in circulation, either in the Netherlands or in the islands.

I do know the Antillean coins were and still are minted in the Netherlands. You can see the small control-marks or privy marks on all Nethlands Antilles coins, indicating they were minted in Utrecht.

The Netherlands Antilles was officially abolished in 2010, but they have only just now announced plans to introduce a replacement currency later this year, the "Caribbean guilder", for use on the two remaining islands that still use the Antillean guilder, Curacao and St Martin. The other three former members of the Netherlands Antilles (Saba, St Eustatius and Bonaire) have already all officially switched to using US dollars.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1175 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2021  09:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add That Coin Dude to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Perhaps specifically to prevent the two coinages from mixing in circulation

Exactly. Both places have independent Monetary systems and since all coins are made in the Neth., it would be hard to make sure all of the coins went to the right places being the same size.
Keep track of your collection: https://en.ucoin.net/?ref=Ux0E0if

My collection: https://en.ucoin.net/uid112788
A friendly coin dude that is here for you!
A coin collector from the Midwest USA.
I specialize in minting varieties and coin identification.
I am online 3+ times every day for 6-12 hours.
My best US coin find: http://goccf.com/t/387871
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 166Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.64 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05