Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Is There A List Of Errors Or Variations For The Coins?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 174Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
148 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2021  10:00 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add ilzho to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello:

I am going through a lot of coins that my father and grandfather kept for my brother and I and we are thinking of selling.

In short..... Is there a list of errors or variations for the coins?

I would image this would be one heck of an undertaking, but I would hate to sell myself short of dumping a coin that would be worth a little bit more if it had an error or wanted variation.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers.
David
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5259 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2021  10:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Which type(s) of coins?

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Valued Member
United States
148 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2021  10:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ilzho to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well..... We have anything from silver eagles, Morgan dollars, silver dimes/quarters, wheat pennies, Buffalo nickels, commemorative coins and present day coinage, no gold coins, etc.....
It's really a lot of different ones and we are trying to get our heads around this, so I realize I asked a very open ended question.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4424 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2021  10:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numisma to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For the most part, your best bet is to read up on some general errors and varieties and know what to keep an eye out for. For specific series, you can probably find lists of common or valuable varieties online pretty easily, or check out sites like Wexler's Die Varieties or Variety Vista for more complete lists.
For Morgan and Peace dollars, people have gone all out and attributed just about every die pair they can. VAMWorld is a good resource if you're interested. Most of these varieties are not going to add to your coins' value, though.

Feel free to post any coins you have questions about here.

Edit: Turns out I don't know how to do links. You can just search for those websites.
Edited by Numisma
01/20/2021 10:23 pm
Valued Member
United States
148 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2021  10:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ilzho to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you so much. I appreciate that... I'm sure I'll be posting some here as well!
Pillar of the Community
United States
728 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2021  3:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add suipakpaikungfu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Try the Cherry Pickers Guide. You can find it on Amazon or ebay.
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 174Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.5 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05