Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Lots Of Extra Cardboard Protective Cases

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 337Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
55 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2021  01:44 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Reedbeard08 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello, esteemed coin collectors!

I've recently come to realize how valuable coin protection is. With shame, I admit that even my rarest coins had been raw until I bought some cardboard protective slabs; while I'm glad to protect some, I'm drowning in extra materials. What benefits are conferred from slabbing some less rare coins? Certainly it is protected against wear, but is there also increased value? Do buyers typically prefer slabbed or unslabbed? Any other recommendations regarding preservation or sellability would be appreciated :)

Thanks, all

RB
Valued Member
United States
287 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2021  02:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add My2cent to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, not to sound needy but if you decide you don't want or need any of them I am extremely willing to receive your excess. I really enjoy collecting but am not able to afford any on my budget even as inexpensive as people say they are. I am using paper towels and ziplock bags right now.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
37690 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2021  04:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
FYI: you can not buy/sell/trade until reaching a certain amount of posts. Please read the rules.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
2743 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2021  04:58 am  Show Profile   Check SilverCents's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SilverCents to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The term "slabbed" is not used with cardboard 2x2s. Those are not slabs. They are holders. You should put all your wanted coins in them if you're a new collector.

They do not increase the value of the coin whatsoever. Getting a coin slabbed means spending a good amount of money to be able to send it to a TPG, such as PCGS, NGC, or ANACs, and getting a grade back.
"Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get." - Forrest Gump
The concept of maturity is complex. While one's capacity to be mature can be correlated with age, someone's overall maturity and respect for life is not. Maturity is formed through experience and perception.
Human progress can only be achieved through trial and error.
Valued Member
United States
185 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2021  05:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PNWType to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If I understand what you mean by cardboard slabs, I think you mean 2x2s. The white squares with clear holes that you staple over your coins...

If so, a coin in a 2x2 still counts as a "raw" coin. It is only a "slabbed" coin once it gets sent to a TPG and graded and nigh permanently encased in plastic.

In terms of increased value, a 2x2 won't change a coin's value, and even a TPG slab just improves your odds of getting the right price for a coin's grade, it doesn't increase its value.

However, having your coins in 2x2s will help prevent wear or damage and that can be super important in maintaining value
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
14859 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2021  07:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If what you want to do is sell your coins then yes , they should be in at least 2x2 cardboard holders . Bringing a key coin to a dealer with no holder at all is not very sensible .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1723 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2021  08:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add samsnate to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree, all your coins should at the very least be in cardboard 2x2 holders unless they are just random coins of no value (you just think they look pretty) or just over stock junk coins as some would call it. As a beginner I would stay away from trying to "slab" your coins by a TPG (Third party grading company). Unless you're referring to empty slabs that you can purchase to put your coins in. Even with those, they DO protect your coins well however it will not increase your value and take up a lot more space depending on the size of your collection.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9571 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2021  08:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll just add to be sure and use a flat clinch stapler or flatten the staples with a small pair of pliers after the fact.

and to the CCF!
1883-O Nut
Learn More...
United States
95801 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4004 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2021  12:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You can buy hard plastic cases for coins, if you want even more protection. Many companies offer them. Here in Canada, square hard plastic capsules from Lighthouse are popular. They cost quite a bit more than 2x2s and take up more space, though.

I put my 2x2 in plastic sheets for organizing and displaying, and that gives more protection, too.

Valued Member
United States
55 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2021  11:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Reedbeard08 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Thanks for all the replies, and especially giving me a definitive "slabbed" definition! I'll be keeping these protective cases for now and keep on the lookout for coins which may require a bit more protection. I appreciate the warm welcome :)

RB
United States
30 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2021  02:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TinyRetreat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I prefer the clear 2x2's stored in appropriate boxes for accessibility for grading and fondling ... no accidental scratches with staples either.
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 337Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.59 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05