Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Need Help Identifying Coin Marking!

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 244Next Topic  
New Zealand
4 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2021  7:19 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Oliver Wakelin to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have recently discovered a coin with the words warranted cast steel stamped into it. They appear to be in good condition compared to the rest of the coin which makes me think they were added after being made. It is an English penny from 1860 - 1869 (to hard to tell exact date). If you have any ideas on why this is on here I would love to know. Also it is stamped on the side with queen Victoria twice, once toward the bottom once on the side. Thanks for your help!
Valued Member
United States
422 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2021  7:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Post up a picture of it so we can have a look
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin
Pillar of the Community
United States
7633 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2021  9:02 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
yep we need photos to tell for sure, but the "warranted cast steel" is a common counterstamp found on British pennies, either from a local English manufacture or a German one, many merchants in the 1820-1900's advertised this way, by stamping their company name onto circulating coinage. Many can be very collectible, in fact the big book on Counter stamped Coins is by Harry Brunk and is now out of print the book alone will sell for $200+ There is/was a website that featured a large amount of counter stamped coinage, but it appears to be down now, as I can't access it.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
New Zealand
4 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2021  9:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oliver Wakelin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok, thanks for the replies! Here is a photo of the coin. Sorry about the size of the photo, had to be under 300kb. Thanks for the help!
Pillar of the Community
United States
7633 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2021  03:40 am  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well that's not an old counter stamp at all, looks to be something new stamped into the coin. Can you post the entire image front and back use the image optimizer if needed to get the file size down.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

Valued Member
United Kingdom
55 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2021  05:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tokenscot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This countermark is recorded in British Countermarks on Copper and Bronze Coins by J. Gavin Scott. Published by Spink & Son Ltd., London, 1975.

It is listed as 122.235 but the prefix 122 indicates Unattributed, so no help in identifying the issuer. He records it stamped once on an 1866 penny and four times on an 1863 penny.

A toolmaker may have just been testing a punch before using it to stamp on tool blades and the like.

New Zealand
4 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2021  5:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oliver Wakelin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok, thanks again for the help. Here's a couple photos from the front and back of the coin.

Pillar of the Community
United States
7633 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2021  5:33 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yep I agree that this was most likely just a test piece used to check his stamp, looks as if it was held with some tongs from the marking on the reverse, the stamp was checked probably for how the letter spacing looked after putting it together, they used a metal that would not have been expensive so the pence coin, but probably not used as an advertising stamp since there is no Company or person being promoted. Interesting but not especially valuable just an old English penny with post mint damage.

That said I like it, my introduction into coin collecting was getting a Lincoln cent in change from Dad at the local hardware store that had the numeral "7" punched in to make Lincoln look like he was smoking a pipe, still have that coin too. So all in all a neat find to me.

Learn More...
United States
96035 Posts
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 244Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.55 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05