Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

How Would You Price A 1964 Specimen Dollar And Where?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 362Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

Canada
1168 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2021  11:19 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add purelywasted to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I am looking for some advice on how to price this coin and where to list. I don't normally sell (or buy) what I consider to be expensive coins ($500+).

I have a 1964 PR65 DCAM dollar in PCGS holder (aka SP 65)

The cameo on the bust looks a bit darker in PCGS trueview photo's, it is a nice bright even silver cameo in hand.

I've looked at
Ebay: ICCS SP66 Cameo - $950 coins look hazy (for sale)
J&M: ICCS SP65 Cameo - $650 (no image) (for sale)
ICCS SP66 Cameo - $950 (no image) (for sale)
Coins&Canada: SP65 - $650-$900 (sold)
SP66 - $600 (sold)
Charelton 2015: SP65 - $650 (?)
Heritage: All over the board

In short, not really sure how to price it and it seems like 1970 and earlier specimen coins are a bit hot right now, so it seems like a good time to sell.

Your thoughts and perspectives would be greatly appreciated.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
1057 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2021  12:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add johnnysprawl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's the thing about pre-'67 specimens...there are so few out there that it's often hard to get a good price estimate.

Like you said, the C&C website shows a good example of this...a few sold for ~$650, and then someone really wanted one and shelled out $900.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3426 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2021  07:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Have you looked at EBay "sold" items?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1057 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2021  10:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add johnnysprawl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
From my personal experience, selling it on iCollector or Torex will likely get you the most.

For example, a 1949 10c SP65 sold at Torex for $357 last November (including premium); whereas a similarly graded one was (and still is) on Ebay for $300 that was up at the same time as the auction.

Alternatively you could list it on Ebay at a higher price with a BIN and Best Offer.
However, I had a 1965 10c SP-66 HC listed using that option, but it languished for months and months.
I finally switched it to an Auction-style and it sold for just under what I had it listed for at BIN.

Again...
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1649 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2021  11:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Smallcentguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
johnnysprawl that actually was my 1949 10 cents that sold at TCNC (Torex) last fall. I have been consigning a number of surplus things to them lately with very nice results. My sense is that they have access to a group of high end buyers that just don't bother with eBay on a regular basis. While eBay is great for selling middle of the road items, I have found that it is not so good for selling higher end pieces. In this COVID world with people stuck at home, I think that a number of well-heeled buyers are active now that were not around in recent years and they seem to be present at recent TCNC auctions.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1057 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2021  11:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add johnnysprawl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
My sense is that they have access to a group of high end buyers that just don't bother with eBay on a regular basis

Yes, that's what I was thinking too.

Congrats on your sale!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1168 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2021  2:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add purelywasted to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks all for your thoughts and help.

I'll give it a shot on ebay and contact TCNC, maybe it is about time some money comes back the other way ;-). If I read their T&C correctly, they take 10% + buyers premium. Any advice before contacting them to submit?

Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 362Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.45 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05