Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1923 Peace Dollar (Unusual)

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 23 / Views: 738Next Topic
Page: of 2

United States
22 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2021  12:44 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Kahawai to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Look at this 1923 Peace dollar I found in my inherited collection.

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Pillar of the Community
United States
3734 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2021  12:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Apparently some glue/epoxy was applied to it.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
18130 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2021  01:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Give it a good long soak in acetone.
United States
22 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2021  01:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kahawai to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ohhhhh ok...will it mess up tbe coin?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
662 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2021  02:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mtuma3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Dont use finger nail polish remover, buy a can of actual acetone at you local hardware store.
It wont hurt the coin or its value.
Mark
ANA Member
Official Snowbird! Illinois in Summer, Somewhere warm in Winter
My7070
Pillar of the Community
United States
540 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2021  04:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smat45 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't think there is anything on the coin...glue or epoxy...looks like the top layer of the coin is missing or peeled back in the area in question...kind of like a LAM...?
I have a 22-S that has a similar surface issue...would yours happen to be an "S"? Just wondering if it might be a supplier issue? I'll try and post a pic when I get back in town Tuesday.
Nice find and good pics!
smat
United States
22 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2021  06:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kahawai to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Where is mint mark? I dont think its glue either or epoxy, it was in plastic coin book, I tried scratching it and its not glue.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2902 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2021  07:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Give it a good long soak in acetone.
Looks like something on the coin to me
Valued Member
United States
86 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2021  08:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numiscrat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am also in the something-on-the-coin camp. Worse, it looks to me like someone might have already tried to scrub whatever it is off with a wire brush or abrasive.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
54762 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2021  09:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is no "top layer" to peel back. The coin is a solid alloy. An acetone soak is a good idea.

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2073 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2021  09:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very interesting.
At first glance, it looked like something on the surface, but ....
It looks like the light is coming from about 9:00 and the glare along the edge under the T (LIBERTY) does make it look like the area is incuse (not raised like an adhesive).

There appears to be an incuse area under the chin as well that seems to have the same dull grey toning. I'm wondering if this could be struck through some type of foil or metal.

The area under the chin would have come off long ago to have toned like the rest of the coin.
The brighter area would have come off more recently.

Can you provide an image of the reverse please?

Words of encouragement are one of the major food groups. We need to consume them regularly to thrive and grow.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1336 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2021  11:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rothery to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If not glue on the surface then Something acidic could have been spilled on the coin and then ate into the surface. The harsh cleaning lines on the coin may have come from someone trying to clean it off.
Pillar of the Community
United States
728 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2021  1:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add suipakpaikungfu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like it's been harshly cleaned to me.
United States
22 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2021  3:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kahawai to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nope not harshly cleaned at all, none of the coins I inherited has been cleaned, I read some somewhere about those lines in it.
United States
22 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2021  4:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kahawai to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
here is the back and Smat it is an s

United States
22 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2021  5:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kahawai to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have alot more of tbese coins

Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 23 / Views: 738Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.76 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05