Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1952-D/S Lincoln Cent OMM?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 241Next Topic  

United States
3 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2021  11:00 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add global-1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have photographed this coin 10 different ways trying to capture what I believe is a tilted "S" under the "D." I'm quite familiar with the OMM-1 listed in the CherryPickers' Guide, and this is obviously not that. It seems to me that if dies with an "S" mintmark were shipped from San Francisco to Denver, there may have been several.
This appears to be a tilted "S" west of the "D" with a die break above it. I'd welcome anyone's thoughts.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5027 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2021  01:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's really hard to tell what's going on. Could you please give us a sharper photo, oriented correctly for us to see? Thanks.

to the CCF!
p.s. - could we see an overall photo of your cent, both sides as well? That might be helpful.

ša va bien aller

Pillar of the Community
United States
1342 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2021  10:30 am  Show Profile   Check Kloccwork419's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Kloccwork419 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is a die gouge. Youll see them pop up for sale as "Winged D" or "Flying D".
Pillar of the Community
United States
3994 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2021  12:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
however check Varietyvista.com, die crack is a marker for rpm ( I think RPM-023)

to CCF
If it's not hockey, it's not a sport
Learn More...
United States
96116 Posts
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2021  9:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add global-1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Sorry to take so long to upload these images. I'm not sure they will be much help. Now that I know how to use the image re-sizer on this site, I will try to get some sharper images on here.
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2021  9:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add global-1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I meant to include the reverse photo with my last post. The die break adjacent to the mintmark does appear very similar to RPM #23 (thank you for that resource). It even has die chips on the reverse on the T in CENT, but they do not appear similar to the ones in the photo of RPM #23. Also, none of the other obverse die markers for 23 appear to be present.
This has had me baffled for quite some time. I swear I see a tilted "S" to the left of the "D" but that could just be wishful thinking.
Thank you for your considerate replies and direction on this.
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 241Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.72 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05