Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Black Toned Mercury Dimes

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 380Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
468 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2021  1:05 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add radatat to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Greetings. I usually post in E and V but have a few toned coins. I had read that black toned mercs were of interest. Here is one. Do you all eye candy collectors like these. Thanks Rich

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
54762 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2021  1:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Better pics would help, but it just looks like severe tarnishing to me, especially on the reverse.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
14868 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2021  1:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not a fan , I wouldn't call that toning .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1336 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2021  1:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rothery to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I had read that black toned mercs were of interest.

Any idea why?
Valued Member
United States
468 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2021  3:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add radatat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ok thanks for the inputs. that is why I asked. Best to all. R
Pillar of the Community
United States
5148 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2021  4:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I had read that black toned mercs were of interest.

Dark toning is often avoided because damage can easily be hidden.
I had an 1894 Morgan and for that reason PCGS wouldn't slab it.
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1546 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2021  4:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jmkendall to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Usually the ones with black toning are of interest if the bust is still a silverish color. It gives it a cameo effect that some people do indeed find quite attractive.

I can state with certainty that if I had a coin with a "black and white" cameo effect, it would sell before a plain silver coin of the same grade/date/mm. As well as for a significant premium. Mind this is for coins that grade vf and better.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3993 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2021  9:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
People, would you use this as a pocket piece in hopes of getting that camo look?
If it's not hockey, it's not a sport
Pillar of the Community
1110 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2021  10:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MOS0239 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can anyone see the date?
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
135 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2021  03:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Winesteven to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not a fan of "tarnish" on my coins.
A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!

My collecting "Pride & Joy" is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
https://www.PCGS.com/setregistry/ty...edset/213996
Edited by Winesteven
01/26/2021 03:49 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
5024 Posts
 Posted 02/01/2021  12:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Not a fan , I wouldn't call that toning .

I'm with T-BOP

ša va bien aller

Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 380Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.52 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05