Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What's The Best Way To Post?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 258Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
225 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2021  02:03 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Carrigna to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello Aussies,

Hope you do not mind me calling you the Aussies with my apologies in advance if you do not like it. I meant no offence at all.

My cousin in Sydney and I have been debating whether it is best to post the note to me via ordinary air mail or registered mail service. It is not same as it was years ago, it appears to me that way?

I would like to hear your experience(s).

Also, if anyone is kind enough to confirm whether the prepaid registered mail envelope has a strong or stiff back or not? Would you recommend us to use this envelope from Australian Post?

Many, many thanks for your help in advance!

Kind regards,
Pillar of the Community
Australia
2850 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2021  07:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add triggersmob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Carringa,

I doubt any Aussie would take offence at being called so. :)

I have been posting mail to the U.S. for many years and have never had a problem. I don't believe you need to go the expensive of registered mail. Just make cure you use a cardboard envelope or a plastic envelope, not the standard paper type, as they could get ripped in sorting machines.

Steve :)
View my Coins here, (NOW WITH OVER 15,000 IMAGES).... http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10048
OFEC count = 237
Learn More...
Australia
13558 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2021  4:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
By "post the note", I assume this means you are attempting to mail a banknote from Australia to America?

Some things to be aware of:

- It is technically against Australia Post regulations to mail coins and banknotes internationally (it's an anti-money-laundering regulation). Collectable banknotes are not exempt from this. If it gets lost or damaged, there is zero recourse from AP; they will simply tell you "we told you not to post banknotes".
- Registered Mail is not worth the additional fees for international packages as the "registration" only covers the period it is in Australia; it offers no extra protection once it leaves the country, and no protection at all for "prohibited" items like banknotes. Meanwhile, the Registered envelope is a big glowing neon sign that says "Hello! I'm valuable!"
-If sending it as a parcel rather than a letter (and if you're using a rigid reinforced envelope, it's a parcel), it's supposed to have a customs declaration form, so that the authorities both in Australia and in America know what's in it without having to open it up and physically inspect it. The form makes you check a box saying it's not a prohibited item, and also requests you to describe and assign a value to the item. You will have to lie, or stretch the truth out really thinly (like calling your banknote a "historical document"), to fill this form in. Breaking an Australia Post regulation isn't a crime, but lying on a customs form is. Either way, your banknote will likely be confiscated if you're found out.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Pillar of the Community
Australia
952 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2021  5:27 pm  Show Profile   Check ryurazu's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ryurazu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
depends on how expensive the note is it took me about 4 weeks for my unregistered letter mail for a Christmas swap to get to east coast of america (US), however that was posted within a postcard so as to not draw attention to the fact that it might be something of monetary value. If it something you want to risk then probably okay, but anything of greater value then 100 dollars I would be wary. Even if tracked mail you'll need to be caution about it cause it no guarantee that they will recover funds/items if it goes missing.
Valued Member
United States
225 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2021  7:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Carrigna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@triggersmib, thanks for your kind words which is very assuring! Appreciate your taking time to reply! I will use your advice. Thank you!

@Sap, thanks for your tips.

@ryurazu, it is good to know that you do not have a problem sending the note overseas! In my case, it is exactly valued at A$100 . That's why I am and was asking for the suggestions on how on posting the note from Australia to the USA.

I will let you know how it goes.

Thank you for your time and advices!
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 258Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.59 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05