Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Thoughts On The Authenticity On This Charles II Scottish 1 Merk

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 240Next Topic  
United Kingdom
7 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2021  06:42 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Nedl15 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello all, I got this coin a while ago, and have been trying to authenticate it myself. I think it looks ok, but the weight is quite concerning. The weight is supposed to be 6.79 grams. This one comes up as 5.99 grams. This could be because of the ware on the coin, and the whole on the top, but I'd still like a second opinion. Thanks in advance!

Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
548 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2021  06:53 am  Show Profile   Check PaddyB's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add PaddyB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can't see anything wrong with this, apart from the hole!
Where did you get the expected weight from? My book on Scottish coins gives a weight range for Merks 1664 to 1675 of 5.6 to 6.5g, so you are well within range. (1675 to 1682 is 6.4 to 6.6g.) Book is the 1999 Coincraft book on the coins of Scotland, Ireland, Channel Islands & Isle of Man.
United Kingdom
7 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2021  07:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nedl15 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I got it from here - https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces17997.html
I couldn't really find any other sources for the weight. I'll have to check out that book you mentioned, I don't really have an books on Scottish coinage
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
18155 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2021  08:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They got silver refining up to a reasonable standard by the time this coin was minted, but not to the standard of what electrolytic refining can achieve.

Lettering and devices on reverse look a little 'mushy', but in this case, could be entirely due to wear.

Would XRF testing be of any help?
Perhaps take it to a scrap gold buyer, they usually have access to a hand held XRF tester. Look in the analysis for trace impurities and metals, not for the purity of the silver. If there is a discreet alloy of copper and silver only, it is probably fake, if there is a tiny amount of random 'rubbish' in the alloy, (well less than 1%), it is probably genuine.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
548 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2021  08:59 am  Show Profile   Check PaddyB's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add PaddyB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ah - I suspect Numista got that figure from Krause, but that relates to the earlier issue - 1601 to 1604 - and that is a very different coin. Krause gives no weight for the 1664 to 1674 issue.
Valued Member
404 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2021  1:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add norantyki to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks good to me (I see a few familiar die diagnostics) - weight diff likely as a result of the hole. These are notorious for being all over the place in terms of weight and composition.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
18155 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2021  8:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The photo libraries of Krause and Coincraft may well be the same - they have the same publisher.
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 240Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 6.49 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05