Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Upgrading Monitor For Laptop Help

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 250Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
689 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2021  07:23 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add JJuliano to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Not sure if this is the proper forum for this thread. I like to do VAM hunting and am looking to upgrade my monitor for my laptop. I am looking at a larger monitor(up to 27", currently at 17") and higher resolution(unsure on this). Anybody have any ideas on this? Recommendations? Any input is appreciated.
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana
"Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over but expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
"How much more grievous are the consequences of anger than the causes of it." - Marcus Aurelius
Edited by JJuliano
01/31/2021 07:24 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
9651 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2021  07:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I use two 27" monitors on my desk top computer for VAM hunting online. One monitor for the auction listings and the other for VAMworld. I thought about using a larger monitor for my laptop but it didn't make sense for me personally because of where I typically use my laptop.
1883-O Nut
Pillar of the Community
United States
689 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2021  09:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JJuliano to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Dave, what resolution do you use? I am not sure if higher resolution is better or just a larger monitor.
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana
"Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over but expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
"How much more grievous are the consequences of anger than the causes of it." - Marcus Aurelius
Pillar of the Community
United States
9651 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2021  09:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have the resolution cranked to the max on my laptop. Not sure what my desk top monitors are set at but I'm guessing the recommended setting.
1883-O Nut
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3499 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2021  3:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BStrauss3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A lot of monitors (used to) to out at 1920x1080 (HD TV), so the bigger the monitor the bigger (not more) dots. That's still true today although there are more choices.

The spec you need to look for is the DPI (dots per inch), but nobody gives you that anymore.

Take a 27" 1080 display, which has around 290 in2 of display space, vs. a 32" 4K monitor which has 2x2 = 4 the number of pixels in 1.4x as much space.

More, smaller pixels will make it easier to see the details.

Also remember that the 4K (3840x2160) display is about 8MP. Depending on your camera/microscope, you might be able to significantly zoom in.

-----Burton
47 year / Life ANA member (joined 12/1/1973)
Life member: Numismatics International, CONECA
Member: TNA, FtWCC, NETCC, OnLinw Coin Club
Owned by four cats and a wife of 37 years (joined 1983)
Pillar of the Community
United States
9651 Posts
 Posted 02/02/2021  09:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
FWIW my monitors are a ViewSonic main monitor and a bought cheap AOC for the secondary. There is a slight difference in picture quality but not enough to be an issue.
I would offer this for thought, if you have the space you may want to try using both your laptop monitor and maybe even the 27 set above the laptop monitor. It might be a cool set up to only have to look up and down between monitors instead of side to side. Heck, I may even try this with an older Dell 24" I have and my laptop... I may need to build an even bigger desk....
1883-O Nut
Pillar of the Community
United States
689 Posts
 Posted 02/02/2021  7:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JJuliano to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you BStrauss3 for your explanation. Thanks Dave. I will take that under consideration.
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 250Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.48 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05