Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Wheatie Wednesday: 1943 Zinc Plated Steel Lincoln Cent Struck Through A Die Cap NGC MS63

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 287Next Topic  
Press Manager
Learn More...
United States
1420 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2021  2:02 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CCFPress to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
(1943) 1C Zinc-Plated Steel Lincoln Cent, Obverse Struck Through a Die Cap, MS63 NGC. A die cap refers to a coin that adheres to a die after its initial, normal strike, and then strikes a series of newly fed planchets. After a few strikes, the cap thins and partially wraps around its die. The reversed and incused impression from the opposite die expands and distorts, and a "ghost" image from the date passes through the cap to the newly struck coins. The present steel cent has a ghost image of Lincoln and the date, best seen when held at arm's length. A brockage impression of ONE CENT and UNITED STATES is also evident. The reverse has a normal appearance. From The Geyer Family Collection.

Check out certified Die Cap Errors on ebay.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58053 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2021  3:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Don't see those very often!
Pillar of the Community
United States
5634 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2021  4:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chase007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree, first one for me too on a Steel penny.
Pillar of the Community
United States
791 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2021  4:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add josephm99 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Almost looks like a '43-D. I think I see evidence of a MM below the date.
Learn More...
United States
100593 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
5966 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2021  5:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wonder what the backstory is with is coin? Was it plucked from circulation? How was it obtained?
I'd love to know!
ša va bien aller

Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 287Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05