Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1888 1 Cent ? On The 8

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 400Next Topic  

Canada
29 Posts
 Posted 02/06/2021  2:42 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add dekatron to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
How would this 8 be described. Over strike , bad strike,damage ?

Questions

Is there a list with examples out there?

As I am a new arrival to this group, I would ask what do people have an interest in seeing?

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3557 Posts
 Posted 02/06/2021  3:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is hand-repunched. You can find with 1, 2, or all 3 8's repunched. I think that the guy with the hammer and the punch must have had a liquid lunch. Some of the repunches are well offset. To repunch a die back then took 2-4 whacks, with hardening of the punch and annealing (softening) the die after each blow. It was sometimes hours, days, weeks or months between blows

Valued Member
Canada
483 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2021  08:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Strach-Man to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What you have is a re punched 8's. Almost all 1888 have at least 1 or 3 of the 8"s re punched. Another variety of the 1888 is called a bead punch where the middle 8 has a half moon on the lower loop on the left side. The working die has been repaired by the engraver and because of this repair the middle 8 shows this repair. The 2011 Charlton Catalogue in the back of the book has some of the variety's. I have not heard of any published book just dedicated on 1888 variety's to date. My advice to you take notes keep on looking because you never know what you might find.
Canada
14 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2021  02:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add EBrown to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good eye dekatron and interesting info here.
Valued Member
United States
313 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2021  4:54 pm  Show Profile   Check 1960NYGiants's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 1960NYGiants to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just found an example of the horned 8 as seen in Okie's post above.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3557 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2021  5:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
decatron ... The repunched digits are quite common or almost normal for the 1888's. The neatest part of your coin is a filled die that makes the E in cent an "F".
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 400Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.53 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05