Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Advice On 1914 $5 Indian Head Half Eagle

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 287Next Topic  

United States
4 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2021  11:42 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Moose2722 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello everyone, I am new to the forum and brand new to coin collecting as I have inherited some coins. One of these coins is a 1914 $5 Indian Head Half Eagle. I would appreciate some feedback on possible grading.

Also, I thought initially I would easily sell this coin but after hearing of how it was my Great Grandmother's and realizing it was likely received by her in a transaction I have this strong urge to keep it for sentimental reasons. Anyone else ever experienced this? If so, what did you do?

Thank you!

Pillar of the Community
United States
649 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2021  04:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smat45 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF

Since you say you're new to collecting I would offer...take your time...don't buy or sell anything...read and read more.
Look at the top left of this page..."Education is the key to collector success".
Use the search function...chances are if you have a question someone else had the same question...
That is a beautiful Indian $5 from your Grandma...I can't tell from the pic if it's a D or an S mint mark on the reverse (the back).
Organize your coins and ask questions here when you can't find the answer.
Have fun!
You've come to a great place!
Look fwd to more of your posts...
smat
Bedrock of the Community
United States
38494 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2021  05:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. Looks like a D mint mark. I recommend you send it to ANACS to be graded and slabbed for protection. I think you should also print up a note with the back story on it and keep the note and coin together.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
18356 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2021  06:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Moose2722 : to the CCF.

Even if you never become a coin collector, best if you don't sell. It is, after all, a family heirloom.
I you do become a coin collector this coin will always be a very important coin in the collection.

Coin itself is relatively common for a gold coin, and won't get too much above gold value for it. Nevertheless, gold is always a very readily tradeable commodity, but when it has gone, it is gone forever, and after a few years, will never even remind you of your Great Grandmother.

Due to the nicely innovative incuse design, BLP Half Eagles have always been difficult for me to grade.
Some wear on the bonnet feather ties, and on the wing shoulder.
AU-50.
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2021  07:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Moose2722 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you! I agree, it is gorgeous. It is in fact a D mint mark. I found it in an old jewelry box in my Grandfather's (he passed away in April) dresser drawer while cleaning/packing for my Grandmother to move.

I absolutely love the idea of writing out the backstory and keeping it with the coin.

Funny thing to me right now is that not long ago I was contemplating the value of this coin with the possible intent to sell it. Now I am strongly contemplating paying the money (how much by the way?) to have it graded with the intent of keeping it. From a profit to to an expense real quick!#129315;
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
55867 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2021  08:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Try to post your images right-side up in the future.

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1051 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2021  11:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GMS5 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would say grading costs would be in the neighborhood of $25.00 - $60.00. Personally, I think this coin would look great in an NGC holder. But that's just me.
Very nice coin and back story, don't sell it.
NGC Grading Prices: https://www.NGCcoin.com/submit/services-fees/NGC/
PCGS Grading Prices: https://www.PCGS.com/servicesandfees
ANACS Grading Prices: https://www.anacs.com/ANACSServices.aspx#pricing
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
18356 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2021  4:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you wish to avoid grading and return shipping fees, it would be best in a simple 2x2 coin flip.
On the flip a note can be written saying that it came from your great grandmother. Your grandfather kept it for good reason. A simple note on the flip would help to provide a family tradition started by your grandfather.

Much harder to put notes on a slab.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7052 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2021  5:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF.

Fully agree with the advise given above.

Add my own opinion that a family heirloom coin intended to remain in the family does not need to be third party graded.
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 287Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.48 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05