Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1968 S Doubled Die Obverse Penny ?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 294Next Topic  
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
132 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2021  05:04 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Coop76 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
It sure looks like theres extra material there or could this be a SMS,? It sure looks different than the rest of 68 s pennys I have like the letters and numbers seem fatter

Bedrock of the Community
United States
38845 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2021  05:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MD
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
132 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2021  05:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coop76 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Medium date ? Or Machine Doubling?
Pillar of the Community
United States
4693 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2021  06:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jim0815 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is no medium date, it is Machine Doubling. I can see why you would question the doubling tho.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
56656 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2021  08:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like MD to me as well.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5609 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2021  09:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chase007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MD. Normal date.There are numerous examples of this type MD doubling for this year and mint mark.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50648 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2021  09:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A noted already it is Machine Doubling. Machine Doubling is really common on the 1968-1972 cents. In 1973 they tried something different that year with the strike, (thus the tall rims on the 1973 cents) that fixed the issue a bit, but we still see it on even the current coins. Which having a lower profile, allows this to continue, but the years I mentioned earlier had a lot of Machine Doubling. Even the big DDO on the 1969-S, most examples show Machine Doubling on them:

Note the hub doubling on the dates? Then note the yellow arrows. Note it only affected these in the same direction? That is what Machine Doubling does. It affects the outside devices, flattening that area (reducing the devices) in a direction. So on a coin that has Machine Doubling, the direction is across the whole coin in a direction, not affecting the other areas of the single devices.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
132 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2021  05:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coop76 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok so the big 69 DDO has Machine Doubling as shown in your picture above and it's still the DDO? Or you mean the big DDO has both the double die and Machine Doubling on the outside of edge of numbers and letters my coin the 68 is only showing Machine Doubling like pyrite is to gold close but no cigar? I had to re read your response several times but I think I understood that when
]at the coin or the 68 s I posted was a match and I look again and the picture seem to match up these pics here are strait from copper coins varieties and I get confused ? These pics show Machine Doubling but are the DDO? Forgive me I'm learning or trying too anyways

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50648 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2021  09:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Or you mean the big DDO has both the double die and Machine Doubling on the outside of edge of numbers and letters.
Yes. It is a doubled die, with Machine Doubling. The MD doesn't cancel out it being a doubled die.

The 1968 was listed as a doubled die, but later determined that it is master die doubling:
http://doubleddie.com/814639.html
Note on the description that all mints were included in the master die doubling?

This is not Machine Doubling. This us doubling that was padded down to the working hubs and the working dies from the Master Die. (So as many as 50% of the cents that year from all three mints could have been affected. If caught, the earlier, the the issue could be been cut short. Did it? I don't know)
While the hub doubling is on the edge of the devices, note that is doesn't create a flat area on the devices, like Machine Doubling does. Also it doesn't push the metal upwards like Machine Doubling can.

CoopHome: 1968 cents do have master die doubling on them
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
02/17/2021 09:42 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
1352 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2021  09:41 am  Show Profile   Check Kloccwork419's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Kloccwork419 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Im just happy seeing someone willing to learn.
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 294Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.65 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05