Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Is The Numista Rarity Index Any Accurate?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 236Next Topic  
Bulgaria
27 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2021  03:11 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add MichaelSH to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Been wondering... Literally so much coins on the site have a high rating.

Is it accurate or is it because people haven't entered their collections in their accounts?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11477 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2021  04:38 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I find that statistic to be minimally useful. It doesn't necessarily correlate to the overall actual scarcity of the coin and yes, is dependent on members adding those coins to their online "collection" so it's doubtful it's even accurate within only the Numista community.

In Memory of Crazyb0 12-26-1951 to 7-27-2020
In Memory of Tootallious 3-31-1964 to 4-15-2020

Oh that I was where I would be,
Then I would be where I am not,
Here I am where I must be,
Go where I would, I can not.
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3452 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2021  04:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As I understand it, the Numista Rarity Index is exactly accurate (modulo some low-level timing troubles) in terms of how rare the type in question is among Numista member collections. Numista audience skews French, so French-associated coins tend to have lower ratings and coins that French people are less likely to collect tend to have higher ratings.
This also conflates rarity with interest in general; types that aren't, technically speaking, rare but also aren't collected often (by English/French speakers, at least) would get high rarity ratings.

In addition, the ratings are intrinsically type-based, so a common type coin has a low rating even if the type is full of rare dates, and type granularity has a big impact on the rating (e.g. many 18th and 19th century Russian coins are subdivided into "types" by mint, which makes their rarity ratings artificially higher; for some other series, particularly among ancients, the situation is even worse).

There are probably also many cases (especially among ancients) where the relevant types just hadn't been listed yet back when most members were entering their collections. There's a long-ongoing project on listing all the Roman types (currently up to Macrinus, 218 AD), and after a few years we'd probably see the Roman coin rarity ratings stabilize a little as comparatively common types get the appropriate amounts of collectors entering them (though most types will still be 100/97/95, obviously).
Bulgaria
27 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2021  05:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MichaelSH to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the information guys!
  Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 236Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.42 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05