Coin Community Family of Web Sites
YourCoinBox is offering a stress free way to appraise and sell your coins from the comfort of your home. Our goal is to create an ultra transparent and no pressure experience for finding out what your coins are worth and what to do with them.
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1976-S Ike Dollar - Type 1 Vs Type 2 (PCGS)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 435Next Topic  
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2021  3:35 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add liberty3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
All - I'm confused about the difference between 1976 dollar coins - Type 1 vs Type 2.

I found this resource: https://eisenhowerdollarguide.com/1...r-varieties/

It would lead me to believe that the lettering on the reverse of the coin is what determines Type 1 vs. Type 2. "Bold, block lettering" is Type 1 whereas "thinner, more elegant" lettering is Type 2. I have both types of dollars and have seen the difference between the two lettering styles in person.

I'm confused by this slab, though, labeled Type 1:

The lettering seems clearly to be the "thinner, more elegant" style, and yet PCGS calls it Type 1. Are the types different for proof coins? Or is it incorrectly labeled?

I'm probably just missing something obvious - - would appreciate someone pointing out where I'm confused...
Pillar of the Community
United States
2302 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2021  3:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nfine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Most likely a labeling mistake, it happens.
Learn More...
United States
102028 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2021  4:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the Community!

I agree, that looks like it has the incorrect label.
Learn More...
United States
102028 Posts
Learn More...
United States
102028 Posts
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2021  7:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add liberty3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks all - looks like it is incorrectly labeled.

And advantage or disadvantage to having PCGS correct it? Will they even do that?

Bedrock of the Community
United States
17433 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2021  08:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
PCGS will correct it for free, and may even pay the shipping but I can't guarantee that last part, you would have to ask them about that.
Gary Schmidt
Valued Member
United States
271 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2021  12:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Diy89Nurm7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree on the mislabeling. I see they designated the coin DCAM, but can't tell from the photos if that is right. You might want to be sure that part is correct, too.

Stay well,
Diy89Nurm7
Stay well,
Diy89Nurm7
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2021  2:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add liberty3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks all - appreciate it.

There is more cameo than the photos would suggest, but it's definitely not the strongest cameo finish I've ever seen. And given one label error, there certainly could be another. If I send it back, I wonder if I "risk" the grade. Will likely send it back to them out of curiosity about how they will handle it more than anything.
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2021  3:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add liberty3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just thought I would close the loop on this.

I did end up contacting PCGS and having them correct the error, more out of curiosity than anything. A couple notes on the process:

-contacting them by phone was incredibly irritating and took over a week. The process is you call and put your number in the queue for a call back that day. If you don't call first thing in the morning, they will be full up for the day. If you miss the call back, or are on another call, you have to try again the next day.
-they had me send pictures
-they emailed back a week later or so indicating that yes, it was an error on their part and they would correct it
-they emailed me a FedEx label and had me submit the slab with an order form marked "mechanical error"
-I received the corrected slab back this past weekend, just under three months later
-the slab has the same cert number and the same grade but is now "gold shield," which I guess is some kind of a slight upgrade

Anyway - long process but in the end it didn't cost me anything and they corrected the error
Learn More...
United States
102028 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2021  3:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the follow-up! So glad it all worked out for you, other than a long passage of time.
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 435Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.34 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05