Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

New Coin Handling Replacement Equipment Arrived Today

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 265Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
1060 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2021  9:49 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This required tool is a necessity when handling unprotected coins.

My old ones were too old and un-washable anymore.

Yep! new package of 100% cotton gloves. at $6.90 for a pack of 12 pairs was not too bad a price to pay to keep my greasy mitts off my coins. (I bought 2 packs from eBay...)

Edited because I cannot read a package label correctly...
Collecting since 1972. Learning from then on
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin
My Dansco 7070 type set coin count: 31/76
My Dansco 8176 Eisenhower set coin count: 36/36
Edited by Dearborn
02/17/2021 9:56 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1060 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2021  9:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I see many folks handling their collectible coin incorrectly..
I thought I would bring up this subject to get the new collectors up to speed on handling bare naked coins..

eBay had gloves for sale at a not to bad price - free shipping..

eBay item number:162852907691

"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin
Edited by Dearborn
02/17/2021 10:01 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11474 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2021  10:24 pm  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good advice.
In Memory of Crazyb0 12-26-1951 to 7-27-2020
In Memory of Tootallious 3-31-1964 to 4-15-2020

Oh that I was where I would be,
Then I would be where I am not,
Here I am where I must be,
Go where I would, I can not.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
18357 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2021  11:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Unprotect Modern proofs: cotton gloves.
Unprotected ancient coins: no protection required; the patina on the coin is sufficient.
Learn More...
Australia
13583 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2021  11:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Gloves can be a two-edged sword. For people who routinely wear gloves for long periods as part of their day job, wearing gloves while they handle coins probably minimizes harm. But for normal folks who almost never wear gloves, the sudden loss of dexterity and "feeling" while wearing gloves, plus the loss of fingerprints to add grip, means that you're far more likely to drop a coin you're holding with gloves on. Yes, you can put down some towelling so you don't cause too much damage when the inevitable drop happens, but drops are drops, and if a coin falls far enough, it'll bounce and roll away, no matter how soft the surface it lands on.

Pretty sure the folks at the TPGs never wear gloves while handling coins they're examining.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Pillar of the Community
United States
4661 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2021  12:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numisma to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just hold them carefully by the edge and call it good. Maybe I just need better gloves, but the loss of dexterity more than counteracts any benefits IMHO.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
18357 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2021  05:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I stand to be corrected, but
I think Third Party Graders don't use when grading clients' coins.
As Sap has indicated, perhaps it is the risk of dropping them that outweighs all other risks in this situation.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1060 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2021  08:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Then we look back in other threads and see pictures of coins laying flat in the owners hand or laying on an unprotected wood table risking scratches and such.
I agree that there must be a middle ground for wearing gloves or not as the situation dictates. I do think that in the beginning of coin collecting that protection should come first to protect your investment, then as you get better - heck - throw caution to the wind.
Learn More...
United States
98038 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2021  12:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I only wear gloves when doing roll searching, at that is more to protect me than the coins.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15036 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2021  1:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I stopped using cotton gloves many years ago . Can't get a good feel when going through BU rolls . Much better just cleaned hands and holding coins by edges as mentioned above .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 265Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.59 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05