Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Cull 1865 Indian Head Cent With Die Rotation, 1865 Plain 5 Variety 5ab?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 149Next Topic  
United States
39 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2021  10:58 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add SomeGoodCents to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Doing my Saturday night listings on eBay and noticed this CULL 1865 Cent has what appears to be 160 Die Rotation, any value added?

Edited by SomeGoodCents
02/19/2021 11:30 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
54530 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2021  08:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd say no, especially in this condition!
United States
39 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2021  09:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SomeGoodCents to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
While I respect your input Coinfrog I don't agree. Most buyers and sellers don't deal in CULL coins but there is a growing market for such lower grades. Admittedly, finding the niche for error collectors in this Cull market is a greater challenge. Nonetheless, this example will never go for sell on eBay with no value added ($4-5). I am holding as I research and ponder the multiplier I might use, but certainly x1 is not in my equation.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2680 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2021  12:49 pm  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF!

I always look at pricing an error coin from the perspective 'Would I buy this coin?' This one is interesting, but I don't think I would ever want to display it in this condition and I've never been a 'Quick turn-around type of buyer.' Most of the coins I have are Mint State and I sell when I have too many or find one that's better grade than the ones I have.

You are correct in the fact that the market is growing, but it's mostly new error collectors that buy culls. It's nice to have the current demand for errors, but if the error market settles back to where it's been in the past, I think it will be hard to sell this type of coin.

The huge glut of incorrectly identified error and variety coins is also damaging the market. It's going to be a very bad day for collecting when some of the current buyers when they find that the coins they've paid for are worthless.
"Shine, shine a Roosevelt dime. All the way to Baltimore and runnin' out of time." Tom Waits-Clap Hands

United States
39 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2021  9:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SomeGoodCents to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Absolutely agree with you Yokozuma. The flood of incorrectly identified error coins and/or fraudulent error claims are abound. I hope that this CULL example doesn't fall in that category, is there any chance it could be a fake? I stumbled upon it as I was taking pics to sell on eBay (as a lowball $4-5 coin). I have never found one with such a dramatic rotation. I did find a website that displayed a pic of a F12 example that was 100% identical. This site identified it as a 1865 plain 5 Varity 5ab, is this accurate? I am not a big error collector but have many tubes of "odd" looking cents, mostly lamination. This one is a rare find for me and my humble collection. There is no way I will part with it without some sort of multiplier added. Just not sure what it will be?
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 149Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05