Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1964 Kennedy Fed Sealed Roll

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 323Next Topic  
Valued Member
Japan
215 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2021  06:49 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Stephen-P to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hey guys. I bought some silver recently with these 10 '64s included. They weren't in a roll, but I'm assuming that's where they came from because 1) there's only two coins that have obvious roll-toning on one side and 2) all of them came from two die pairings.. easy to see from all the die file lines on both types.

Valued Member
Japan
215 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2021  06:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Stephen-P to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My question is this: If modern coins are rolled and delivered straight from the fed, is there always a high probability that most of them will share the same diagnostics?
Valued Member
Japan
215 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2021  09:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Stephen-P to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll try an be more clear:
The two coins with close-ups are the only two die pairs used in this set of ten, which means they had to have been in the same roll. There are 6 of the first pairing I showed and 4 of the second pairing.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1227 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2021  12:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rothery to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First of all - nice looking halves.

Quote:
The two coins with close-ups are the only two die pairs used in this set of ten, which means they had to have been in the same roll. There are 6 of the first pairing I showed and 4 of the second pairing.

I'm not sure what you want to know - could they be from the same roll? I guess the seller could have rolls of halves that he takes the coins out of when he sells them.
Valued Member
Japan
215 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2021  12:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Stephen-P to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Rothery - Thanks for the reply.
I'd like to know that if we get a roll straight from the fed, will there usually likely be coins all sharing the same die pairing?
I found it interesting that with a mintage of over 270 million, I have only two distinct die pairings from 10 coins which are probably from the same roll.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1227 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2021  1:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rothery to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I guess anything is possible. I've had Memorial cent rolls where 2 or 3 of the same RPM's were in them.
Things would have to fall into place from coins being taken from the collection bins to being bagged then to being rolled.
Pillar of the Community
United States
944 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2021  2:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nick10 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't believe there were "Fed sealed rolls" in 1964. In any mint state roll, it's common to find a few coins from the same die pair.
Valued Member
Japan
215 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2021  2:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Stephen-P to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's what I love about coins... The mystery behind them! I have only these kennedies from the silver lot I bought, 5 from one die pair and 4 from another die pair. They look like they came out of the same roll in terms of condition, toned enders, etc.. so it's interesting to think how they just so happened to be together.
Valued Member
Japan
215 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2021  2:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Stephen-P to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes Rothery! That was my point of interest; finding varieties, particularly en masse.
For example, if I spot a roll of '64s where the ender espouses a DDO, I could be sure to assume that there are others in that same roll, as if coins of the same die pairing were packaged together...
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6981 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2021  8:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Your topic title is misleading and you sort of cleared it up with your thread discussion.

You are not in possession of a 'Fed Sealed Roll' as claimed in your title.

Please be careful - titles are important as they attract views/comments based on member interest and I for one thought I would find a discussion of such a pristine roll. Thanks
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Valued Member
Japan
215 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2021  12:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Stephen-P to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for your comment. I certainly didn't mean to mislead anyone.. I'll try to be more careful next time!
Valued Member
Japan
215 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2021  01:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Stephen-P to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's just really exciting for me to find a group of Kennedies that have never parted ways upon their creation at the mint. Seemed interesting to share and discuss.
Never separated at birth!

Pillar of the Community
United States
718 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2021  12:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add suipakpaikungfu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Love the toner!!
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
369 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2021  1:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add HumblePie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That 1964 Toner is a Beauty!
Learn More...
United States
95654 Posts
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 323Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.75 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05