Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

The Assassination Penny

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 264Next Topic  

United States
3 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2021  12:54 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add michael berryman to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
yes ive got a question on a penny of mine. I have been stumped on finding out what to do or where to go with it. because it's definitely a one of a kind and I'máscared to no the worth of it. but can u please point me in the right direction to go. its a 1964 with a defect where the die broke I guess while it was being punched out but however it was most definitely done in the making process and not by some individual person. but there is a nice size hole all the way through the center of Lincolns head. I call it the assassination penny. it's awesome. I found it one day digging through my grandpa's old coin box.

Pillar of the Community
United States
4969 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2021  01:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is no way to break this to you easy, but I am afraid what you have is a cent with a hole in it, post mint damage ( PMD). There is noting in the minting process that would punch a small hole in the planchet. Your photo is extremely out-of-focus, but there is enough detail there to see the problem with your cent and the damage (could be from a bullet or drilled out). It's value is one cent, but you should keep it since it was part of your Grandfather's things. We see coins like this a lot, and people feel their coin is unique and must be worth big bucks, but I'm sorry they aren't.

to the CCF!

ša va bien aller

Edited by merclover
02/22/2021 01:53 am
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2021  01:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add michael berryman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
does anyone no anything about this penny? is it valuable?
Valued Member
Poland
380 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2021  01:54 am  Show Profile   Check norantyki's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add norantyki to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is a holed penny, as mentioned by merclover suffering from post mint damage (someone was messing around after the coin left the mint). It is worth face value if you can get someone to accept it.
Dealer, collector - Coins, Banknotes, Watches, Stamps, Antiquities - Norantyki.com
Edited by norantyki
02/22/2021 01:54 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
4969 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2021  01:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Value: 1 cent, sorry.
ša va bien aller

United States
3 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2021  01:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add michael berryman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
thank y'all for the help. I was afraid of this. but I couldn't get the picture to focus. but I have studied the coin and there are no drill marks or punch marks. I would think that if a person done this that it would take a lot of force to perfectly go through a coin without bending the coin or damaging it in someway but I wasnt sure. thank y'all so
Pillar of the Community
United States
2881 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2021  08:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's a cent with a hole drilled and/or punched--for a pendant. The hole was likely created long, long ago and circulation wear has reduced some of the tell-tale hole-making evidence. Copper is a relatively soft metal and it doesn't retain fine mechanical scratches, drill marks, etc. over time--especially if exposed to routine (or worse) circulation. Certainly not a mint striking error.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5539 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2021  08:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chase007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
but I have studied the coin and there are no drill marks or punch marks

Hang around here, this is the best class you can attend.
to the Forum.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4494 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2021  09:38 am  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the Forum. You've come to a phenomenal place to share and learn. Explore and Enjoy!
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
http://goccf.com/t/303507
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
54577 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2021  09:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Without sharper pics, we can't tell you much more.

to the CCF!
Edited by Coinfrog
02/22/2021 09:51 am
Learn More...
United States
95713 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3740 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2021  2:54 pm  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Someone defacing or playing around with a very common Penny .
Worth a Cent .
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4494 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2021  12:13 pm  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I see you changed it to "assassination penny". I was confused because assignation could have loosely fit.
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
http://goccf.com/t/303507
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 264Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.59 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05