Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Medieval Monday: 1216-1272 Henry III Gold Penny Of 20 Pence ND NGC MS63

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 250Next Topic  
Press Manager
Learn More...
United States
1411 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2021  6:26 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CCFPress to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Henry III (1216-1272) gold Penny of 20 Pence ND (c. 1257) MS63 NGC, London mint, Willem (likely William of Gloucester [William Fitz Otto], the King's goldsmith) as moneyer, Fr-80 (7 known), S-1375, N-1000 (ER), Schneider-1, Ruding, Annals of the coinage of Great Britain and its dependencies, 3rd ed. (1840), Vol II, pg. 378, Supplementary Plate VI, 18, n. 4 (this coin cited), Evans, "The First Gold Coins of England", Plate XI, 4 (this coin), Lawrence, "The Long Cross coinage of Henry III and Edward I" (British Numismatic Journal 9, 1912, pp. 145-79), Type II. 21mm. 2.95gm. h | eNRIC' | ReX : I-I-I' | :, bearded and crowned king enthroned facing, lis-tipped scepter in right hand, globus cruciger in left / WILL | eM : O | N LVn | DeN (quatrefoil), voided long cross with rose and three pellets in each angle (second N in London lombardic). Beautifully struck and wholly original, this spectacular piece exhibits stunning cabinet tone over lustrous surfaces leading out to traces of upset rims. The centering is careful and the flan, although not overly broad, is near fully round and bears no cracks or obvious flaws.

Read More: Coin of the Day Series

l0JMFA7UTXo
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
55730 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2021  6:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Crikey, that's really something.
Edited by Coinfrog
03/01/2021 6:36 pm
Learn More...
United States
18846 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2021  8:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Medieval Mondays are my fave!
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4534 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2021  9:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Medieval Mondays are my fave!

The description of the legends got messed up, but I noticed the king's name is spelled heNRIC' ... That last symbol looks like what we call an apostrophe, but in a thread hosted by @spence, we learned that it actually is a printer's shorthand for the letters "US" which would complete Henry's latin name, Henricus.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4534 Posts
 Posted 03/02/2021  09:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
traces of upset rims

Not sure why they would still be upset after 700 years
(don't ya just love some of those auction descriptions?)
Learn More...
United States
18846 Posts
 Posted 03/02/2021  8:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The description of the legends got messed up

Fixed!
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 250Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.42 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05