Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Flat Surfaces On A 1994 P Quarter

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 171Next Topic  

United States
32 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2021  4:42 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add STKRollHunter to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Had a quick question regarding a 1994 P quarter. I was looking through rolls and came across this coin. I was about to disregard it but figured I would ask first. The coin has no reading on the rim and has a perfectly flat surface on most of Jefferson's face and on both obverses and reverse rims as shown in the photos. I'm 90% sure it's a throwaway but wanted to ask yall first.

Pillar of the Community
United States
2160 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2021  4:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nfine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Washington's face, the edge and the rims have been filed, ground or sanded down.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
18141 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2021  5:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
nfine's suggestion will be confirmed by slightly lower weight.
United States
32 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2021  5:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add STKRollHunter to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a weight of around 5.605 Grams. According to the Red Book weight of 5.67 Grams, it would appear that this coin is .065 grams light, indicating nfine is correct. Thanks for the help. This is what I thought but wanted to double-check first.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1373 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2021  5:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rothery to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah, just spend it -
Pillar of the Community
United States
1871 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2021  07:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jasper62 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
perfectly flat surface on most of Jefferson's face

An over sight but it is Washington. If you think you have a valuable coin never hold it as the fourth picture reflects. oil from our fingers can etch into the metal leaving a permanent finger print lowering the value.

Valued Member
United States
217 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2021  11:16 am  Show Profile   Check Diy89Nurm7's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Diy89Nurm7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I concur and would add that I suspect the damage to have occurred all at once since the altered surface seems to be at the same level and very deep. Grinding or sanding seems reasonable and an odd way to spend the day!

Stay well,
Diy89Nurm7
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 171Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05