Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Thaler Thursday: 1848 Prussian Thaler Counterstamp A B Fraley / Marshall / Texas / 1873

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 511Next Topic  
Press Manager
Learn More...
United States
1420 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2021  4:46 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CCFPress to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
1848 Prussian Thaler, A.B. FRALEY / MARSHALL. / TEXAS. / 1873. VF Host; XF Counterstamp. Brunk F-420, Rulau Tx-Ms 1 Three curved line punches plus individual numeral punches. Unique. Unusual large, silver host coin. The counterstamp was skillfully done.

Read More: Coin of the Day Series
Learn More...
United States
100593 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
1213 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2021  9:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A coin from Prussia made it all the way to Texas in the 19th Century? That coin must have some tale to tell...
Valued Member
United States
410 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2021  12:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add retiredkper to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Has anyone tried looking up the name?
Learn More...
United States
100593 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2021  10:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Has anyone tried looking up the name?
I was hoping ExoGuy would show up with the backstory.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3887 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2021  10:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ExoGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, jbuck, for drawing my attention to this thread. I'll see what I can find.

A great many c/s's are unique, and I suspect that this one is, too. The stamping appears to have been done with individual letter punches; this, as opposed to a prepared die. A problem exists for c/s collectors in that unique pieces like this can be fabricated. Brunk cited a number of Texas fantasy counterstamps in his book. That said, I tend to believe this c/s is contemporary.

Meanwhile, I will say that it was quite common for immigrants to bring coins from the old country to the new. I'm not surprised by this host coin, as many Germans emigrated to Texas in the 1800's. They typically settled among countrymen, forming social social groups that shared activities like singing and shooting clubs for example.

P.S. .... I see that this piece realized over $1,400 I the recent Heritage.
Edited by ExoGuy
03/17/2021 12:00 pm
Learn More...
United States
100593 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2021  11:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Thanks, jbuck, for drawing my attention to this thread. I'll see what I can find.
No problem and thank you!
Pillar of the Community
United States
3887 Posts
 Posted 03/19/2021  11:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ExoGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry to report that I'm unable to attribute this c/s or even suggest a likely candidate. There were a few prominent men, named Fraley, living in Marshall in the 1870-80's, but they didn't have a first name that began with the letter "A". One of them was Wm. B. Fraley, and A.B. Fraley (same middle initial) may have been a relative, perhaps? I checked out local gravesites and searched Texas newspapers but to no avail.

My guess is that the buyer/bidders either had a personal interest or else found some historical info that I'm presently unable to uncover. I'm hard-pressed to suspect that the bids climbled so high on pure whimsy; this, unless the coin, itself, is some rare variety.
Learn More...
United States
100593 Posts
 Posted 03/19/2021  11:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
We cannot win them all, but thank you for the update.
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 511Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.34 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05