Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

I Have A Question About Coin Roll Hunting

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 566Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
119 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2021  8:27 pm Show Profile   Check Akkdayam's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add Akkdayam to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
So I have never coin roll hunted and wondering where to start and get the coin rolls from if you have any information that would be very helpful .
When you buy on eBay make sure you don't get it then realize you bought the wrong thing 3 minutes later - me

Valued Member
United States
119 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2021  8:36 pm  Show Profile   Check Akkdayam's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Akkdayam to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Probably a VERY noobie question but still
When you buy on eBay make sure you don't get it then realize you bought the wrong thing 3 minutes later - me

Pillar of the Community
United States
3631 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2021  8:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Try picking up a few rolls at your local bank branch. Suggest not waltzing in and asking for boxes first thing. Start at a modest level with rolls. If you have an account you could eventually request boxes. Be polite and build your relationship with bank staff. Try a few rolls to get the hang of it.

Don't get discouraged if you don't find dozens of legit errors and a pile of silver in the first week--doesn't happen.
Valued Member
United States
119 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2021  8:56 pm  Show Profile   Check Akkdayam's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Akkdayam to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok thanks!

Edited by Akkdayam
02/25/2021 8:56 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
56001 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2021  9:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Don't waste your time.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3631 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2021  9:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Give roll hunting a try. If you like it, great. If not, try something else. Many collectors love searching through rolls, others detest it. Personally, I found all 25 of my W mint quarters roll hunting. And, I found a high grade DDO bicentennial quarter a few years ago--had it graded and attributed by PCGS. Kinda cool.

Just one of many related topic threads:
http://goccf.com/t/263279
Edited by ijn1944
02/25/2021 9:31 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
4154 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2021  06:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fistfulladirt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It can be quite addictive. Begin simply as calling your bank and ordering a box of coin. Return coins you don't keep to a different bank.
When I listen to LED ZEPPELIN...so do my neighbors...
Roll hunting since '77
Dirt fishing since '72
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15059 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2021  07:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you have no idea what to look for or are not into errors then I agree with Coinfrog .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
Pillar of the Community
United States
3631 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2021  07:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I started coin roll hunting many, many years ago--waaaaaaay back. At the time I had little sense for errors and varieties, etc. I just liked coins and started looking. As time went on I became more familiar with the nuances of numismatics. Ya gotta start somewhere. Like coins? Feed your itch, try roll searching--let the passion grow and morph. YOU decide if you're wasting your time or not.
Learn More...
United States
98119 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2021  10:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Don't waste your time.
I disagree. I think everyone should try it at least once.

I had great success through the 1990s. A large part of my Franklin half dollar album was funded by the silver found in rolls. I still have a nice stack of silver and a stash of Wheat cent rolls built from finds. However, things have changed a lot since then. Silver and wheaties are not as common as they once were.

Errors and varieties keep most people in the CRH game these days, but others like to build sets from their finds. Jefferson nickels and 1999+ quarters are relatively easy. If these ideas do not excite you then expect your CRH experiment to be short lived. That is okay. Give it a shot though. Not many things in this hobby are "free" to try.
Valued Member
United States
135 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2021  4:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coin rejector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I usually get mine from the bank but sometimes while grocery shopping, I sometimes ask to buy a few rolls from the cashier. For me, every box/roll is a mini treasure hunt, the anticipation of finding something new or rare, is addictive. If you think a coin might be rare, valuable, a variety, etc., put it aside & examine/revisit later, after you have more education/experience.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2192 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2021  5:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John77 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Don't waste your time.

mmmkay
CRH Nickeloholic. 1,300,000 nickels searched in five years! Already have found THREE complete Jefferson sets!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15059 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2021  5:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice stash but that was obviously quite awhile ago .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
Pillar of the Community
United States
2192 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2021  6:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John77 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Nice stash but that was obviously quite awhile ago .

While it is indeed a nice stash, it was only 16 days ago that I lucked into it...

http://goccf.com/t/60961&whichpage=423#3360407

CRH Nickeloholic. 1,300,000 nickels searched in five years! Already have found THREE complete Jefferson sets!
Learn More...
United States
98119 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2021  09:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sixteen days is a long, long time.

(Not really. Still a nice haul!)
Pillar of the Community
United States
1412 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2021  11:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What I would do its try to get $20 in change from any bank nearby. it's not a large amount so even if you don't have an account, they can be helpful. I'd use the "weekend garage sale and needing change"

1 roll quarters, 1 roll dimes 2 rolls nickels 2 rolls cents. this is what I like to call "fishing" and I pick up some here or there from many banks over the week on my journeys, write down where I got it, and if anything is good, go back for another round.

this is scale-able to like $60 for like 3 rolls quarters, 3 rolls dimes, 5 rolls nickels, 10 rolls cents. You'd want to avoid too much of one thing, like $25 in cents from one place that's a box, and avoid asking for too much that causes a teller to sigh and mutter " darn I have to work..." . but over the course of the week, 2-4 rolls of quarters per stop, you can get a box to search though from 12-25 stops and dropping $20 or $40 here or there. Even my bank that I have an account at puts a stop on me at $100 in coin, then they make you use your account to do it and track what you are doing and, yeah, can cut you off when they figure out what you are doing.

Idea is to use these visits each week, speak to the bank employees, get familiar and more importantly be friendly, and hopefully establish a connection with someone that can actually order you boxes without a problem or hassle or more than one bank, so you have options.

$5-$10 in cents tops at first and $10 is pushing it, same goes for nickels but 5 rolls isn't such a big deal, $20 in dimes, 2-4 rolls of quarters. these are easily on their drawers and won't deplete them causing them to do more work to go for a refill.

idea is to not be a problem, make points of contact, and see about getting a box or so added for you to pick up.

Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 566Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.79 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05