Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1972-D Cent Double Die - DDO-003

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 299Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
109 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2021  12:33 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add PPorro to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I've had this one a long time. It's been in the flip since I got it, but still just losing it year after year. Is it what I think it is? I can add the In God We Trust is that's needed?

I based the ID on the L in LIBERTY

Still learning on the images, ring light, I think I'm getting better. I put a plastic bag over the LEDs and moved back. Now using a 100mm Macro lens.
Edited by PPorro
02/27/2021 06:52 am
Valued Member
United States
109 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2021  12:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PPorro to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OK did this one too

Pillar of the Community
United States
632 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2021  2:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add willy13 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can not tell four sure but looks like its either coppercoins.com 1do-001 or 1do-004.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3298 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2021  3:13 pm  Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fairly sure that is DDO-001 bases on the die scratches around LIBERTY. VV has really good die markers to separate these, and this one pretty much has to be 001 or 003 based on mint mark position.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50789 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2021  4:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Looks not like these two. How about 003?
http://www.varietyvista.com/01b%20L...2DDDO003.htm
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
02/26/2021 4:20 pm
Valued Member
United States
309 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2021  8:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Scuba1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Anyone compared this to Coppercoins 1972D 1DO- 002? I just looked it up on Coppercoins and it looks to me to be a match to Coppercoins 1972D 1DO-002. The mint mark looks like it's positioned correctly and the notches and separation on the date look to match exactly. I can't see any die markers in the OP's photo but I'd check out Coppercoins 1972D 1DO-002 for a match. The motto looks like an exact match too from what my eyes can see.
Edited by Scuba1
02/26/2021 8:18 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50789 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2021  8:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coppercoins and Variety vista have different numbers for the doubled dies. The RPMs are most the same, but Wexler's are so different on all coins than everyone else. So when using the site numbers don't forget their formulas:

Coppercoins numbers would be like 1972D-1DO-002
Variety Vista would be lie DDO-XXX
Wexler numbers would be WDDO-XXX
So we can't confuse theses formulas or everyone else would be confused.

We will be out standing by the sign:

Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Valued Member
United States
309 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2021  8:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Scuba1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I revised my post, my bad. Thanks coop.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1352 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2021  8:29 pm  Show Profile   Check Kloccwork419's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Kloccwork419 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with coop. Looks like DDO-003
Valued Member
United States
109 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2021  06:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PPorro to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the help with the ID. I picked this up many years ago, (1970s) in Dayton Ohio at a little coin shop downtown. I was at a meeting at the hotel across the street, went for a walk.

I remember I got a nice 31-S for my collection, to upgrade the beat one from circulation. And I asked what else do you have that's interesting...

I was never sure I didn't just get taken, because I sure don't know. Now I have better tools for looking closer, like a nice DSLR and a Macro lens? And this forum, with people who do know.

Thanks!

That's where the ID came from, written on the flip. I'll make the correction.
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 299Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.34 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05