Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Nero Denarius Fake Or Real

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 424Next Topic  
Romania
12 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2021  06:33 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add imparatul to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello, can you please tell me if this denarius is genuine? 18 mm diameter and 2.8 g

CCF Advertiser
Learn More...
United States
842 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2021  07:32 am  Show Profile   Check louisvillekyshop's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add louisvillekyshop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
While not offering an opinion, I add a blow up of the letters which might help others.

Edited by louisvillekyshop
03/01/2021 07:34 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
38532 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2021  08:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
4671 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2021  10:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numisma to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm seeing what may be casting bubbles. I can't confidently offer an opinion, but it's worrying.
Learn More...
United States
98119 Posts
Learn More...
United States
23488 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2021  4:38 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the community

I don't lie the look of the lettering and the surface looks porous. Can you provide a picture of the edge of the coin?
Romania
12 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2021  5:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add imparatul to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Unfortunately I can't take more photos as it is not my coin, but was considering buying. Thank you for your replies. I thought it might be fake for the reasons you've mentioned, though I must confess in terms of style it's pretty good.
Pillar of the Community
United States
755 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2021  10:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MartiVltori to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This one is difficult to tell. The style does look good and a porous surface does not always mean it is fake. The planchettes themselves are occasionally crude and porous and will have rough or porous surfaces after being struck. This is more often seen in some earlier military mint issues but sometimes in official imperial issues as well.

My gut says it is real. I would like to see the edge though.
Romania
12 Posts
 Posted 03/02/2021  03:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add imparatul to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok, I will buy it and post pictures of the edge once I receive it. I will trust your gut since risking 80 USD isn't that big of a deal. Thank you.
Pillar of the Community
United States
755 Posts
 Posted 03/02/2021  10:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MartiVltori to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oh great, now it will be my fault. :) LOL. just kidding. Its kind of a coin toss on this one but yes 80 is not too much to risk I suppose. Is the seller reputable?
Romania
12 Posts
 Posted 03/02/2021  11:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add imparatul to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
New seller but so far positive reviews.
Romania
12 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2021  09:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add imparatul to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So I've added images of the edge. Could you please give me your opinion now? Thank you.

Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 424Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.61 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05