Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

19th Century Coin Envelopes With Calligraphy

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 321Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...

Canada
3517 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2021  08:34 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
On the PCGS forum a week or so ago, a member there posted 2 early Canadian coins, beautiful by themselves, but were enclosed in old coin envelopes from a 19th century collector. 4-5 years ago I bought an 1859 & 1876 Vicky cent with the same fine penmanship and then forgot about them. I have shown them to a few of you at a coin show way back then and put them away. I asked, on the PCGS site, if the initial PCGS poster could put his info in my thread, hoping that maybe someone else has any like it and if anyone knew whose hand actually penned the writing on the envelopes. I'd like to find a TPG that could holster both the coin and envelope in one single side-by-side holder, but I've never gotten around to it. Probably because I don't use TPGs, period. Anyway, here's a link to the PCGS thread and hope that someone else knows where they originated; Oh, rats, it looks like this PCGS link is not allowed on this CCF site.

The PCGS thread I describe is in the "World and Ancient Coin Forum" in a thread called old calligraphy coin envelopes. Check it out to see what a Canadian collector in the 1880's used to ID his coins on the envelopes. Here's cell-phone shots of my 2 coins/envelopes. Best I can do with no camera:

Edited by okiecoiner
03/01/2021 09:17 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1190 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2021  11:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add purelywasted to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is cool. Thanks for sharing, I like the look, makes me want to break my set out and do some writing
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1692 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2021  3:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add papeldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice piece of history along with a couple nice coins. That would be special to get them graded and put in a side by side hard slab keep the history preserved together.
Like mentioned Bill thanks for the post with pictures and story
Edited by papeldog
03/01/2021 3:41 pm
Valued Member
Canada
97 Posts
 Posted 03/02/2021  2:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bond632 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The envelopes are as beautiful as the coins, they would be even better if not for the pen marks.
  Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 321Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05