Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Too Many Irons In The Fire

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 311Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
1037 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2021  12:05 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
As a collector of many years, collecting by series and completing one at a time before moving on, I find myself some what over whelmed lately. Like most, the Lincoln Cent and the old blue were how it began in the mid-seventies. Yet for an unknown reason a fascination with the ten cent denomination took hold around the same time, likely with my first Winged Liberty (Mercury as they call them.). So, over the years I've managed a complete date/mint mark run on the dime back to 1897. Minus the 1894s of course and held at the elusive 1896s. Now in my mid-fifties and struggling with the 31 extremely difficult dates/mint marks remaining for the Seated Liberty series I began others. Short series, inexpensive, and somewhat easy to complete. First, the buffalo. Which is almost complete in a full date-half horn plus run. Then the Irish Republic coinage of 1928-69 and now the Canadian Large Cents. My whole point in this long post, which I apologize for, are the thoughts of having one too many going on at the same time and a possibility of distraction, or worse taking a break. The latter concerns me due to age and further thoughts of not restarting. In any event, who ever gets my final decision will be left with a massive collection taking weeks to go through. Even though everything is meticulously organized. Any one else facing a similar situation? Or a simple comment?
ANA member
PAN Member
BCCS Member

There's no problem only solutions - the late, great John Lennon
Edited by Ballyhoo
03/01/2021 12:08 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4567 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2021  1:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What is it about the situation that you find overwhelming?

To my way of thinking, the only serious issue is if it becomes more of a financial drain than is reasonable (but I read your post on another thread, and it seems you have good discipline).

If it's that you can;t keep up on all the different websites, auctions, etc. that present opportunities, then welcome to the club! Worst that can happen is that you occasionally miss an opportunity ... there will always be more!

I have four quite different themes going, so I can relate to some extent.

Edited by tdziemia
03/01/2021 1:43 pm
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
238 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2021  2:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kcm to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You need only to take a break.

I am cut.
I am not slain.
I'll lay me down.
I'll bleed awhile,
and then, I'll fight again.

Kevin
Given the option of choosing between a very interesting coin or a rather valuable one, I'd choose the former every time . My vexation lies in the fact that the two so often coincide.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
559 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2021  4:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cdncoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Collect what you like. The hobby is not supposed to be stressful. If it is getting to be, maybe take a break for a bit. Look at it as a continuous journey. Filling every hole may not happen and that's OK.
Valued Member
United States
357 Posts
 Posted 03/02/2021  03:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PNWType to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In a bit of a personal journey I experienced something similar. I was trying to get into collecting the classic 1892-1954 commemorative halves. I started getting stressed out about the size of the collection and the prices of many of the examples (here's looking at you Hawaii, Spanish Trail, Hudson) and realized that I don't even really care for some of the expensive ones, like Spanish Trail especially. Knowing how much I would eventually have to invest into the set just to complete it in any condition and knowing that there are lots of designs I don't even much care for that would still run me $100-$200 a piece was really weighing on me.

I decided to adapt my 7070 to include 8 classic commems, and added a second of the bicentennial page to include the Isabella, Columbus, and Lafayette where the bicentennials normally go. For me, this means I can just focus on 1 album, my 7070, even though it isn't a pure Dansco 7070 anymore. Now, collecting just 8 classic commems plus the OGs means that I can collect just the ones I want and I can much more easily justify $1000-$2000 on the 11 coins I like, instead of $10000+ on 55 that I don't like all of. Like you say, I felt a bit distracted trying to put money into a 7070 and a 7094 (classic commem album) at the same time.
Learn More...
United States
98038 Posts
 Posted 03/02/2021  3:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Collect what you like. The hobby is not supposed to be stressful.

I think I have done well to not get into too many other things, although the temptation is always there.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4567 Posts
 Posted 03/02/2021  5:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have one collecting theme with a "fixed" goal, OFEY 1474-1795. For this I always know exactly how many holes I have to fill, and for the most part, the options I have to fill them.

The other collecting themes (OFER for several places and the saints collection) are a bit less defined, which allows me be less disciplined when the spirit moves me.

So, last week I filled in an OFEY date in one auction, and then won an "R" (reign) I was missing in another. So that I wouldn't feel bad about forking over the shipping costs for that one coin, I found a new saint I was able to win at that auction at just one step up from the opening bid. I know in principle that third expenditure means I have less budget for one of the other more targeted goals. But I'm not gonna stress about it.

Possibly a dangerous framework, but I'm, not insolvent yet.

Edited by tdziemia
03/02/2021 7:54 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 311Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.48 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05