Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Help With 1980 P Roosevelt Dime Clad Layers Missing?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 207Next Topic  

United States
2 Posts
 Posted 03/02/2021  2:17 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Gdivi01 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'm new to coin collecting/searching and I could use some help(in more ways than just this post). I found this 1980P Dime that definitely caught my eye as "different". I'm color blind so I'm not quite sure if this is missing one or both clad layers. It weighs 2.2g. It also looks like there some doubling. I still am having trouble distinguishing between Machine Doubling and hub doubling. Any insight would really be appreciated...

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2829 Posts
 Posted 03/02/2021  5:09 pm  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF!

Does the edge show the same color or can you see a darker copper core? The color in you images seems to change from picture to picture, so I can't say for sure. Most coins that have a clad layer missing are underweight and lack some detail, but it is possible.
"Shine, shine a Roosevelt dime. All the way to Baltimore and runnin' out of time." Tom Waits-Clap Hands

United States
2 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2021  05:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gdivi01 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So I'mástill trying to figure out a proper setup for consistent lighting/picture taking...not sure the best way of taking a picture of the ridge but here's what I came away with...

So the rim is uneven but it appears that there is a slim amount of nickel on the obverse and a marginal amount more on the reverse side...would that thin amount produce a copper field with silver(nickel) features? Depending on what aspect my phone focused on, that color would be accentuated in the photo

I guess I couldve posted the images in the middle..eh, if that's the worse thing that happens today, I'll be alright...

Would quick like to say I really appreciate the help with walking me through this...I work in a restaurant and continually get a lot of coins and bills...just recently looked up some distinctive older Lincoln cents, found myself way out of my depths, but hooked on learning as much as I can, so thank you, really.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50120 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2021  10:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The missing clad on a coin should be a stark noticeable event on a coinL

Note the partial missing clad on this coin. The color difference will be as strong as the red on a copper cent.

The strike on these can be weak because of the missing thickness of the metal.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
United States
5412 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2021  6:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Never a good idea to hold your coins in your fingers like that. Oils from your skins can destroy any numismatic value your coin may have. A better strategy is to photograph your coins while laying them on a hard surface and photograph them directly from above. And/or, purchase inexpensive cotton gloves from anywhere that sells hobby supplies.

to the CCF!

ša va bien aller

Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 207Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.47 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05