Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

"Advertising" Halfpenny

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 180Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
4340 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2021  08:29 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Lucky Cuss to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

This undated Conder token is attributed to William Lutwyche's medal manufactory located in Birmingham (Warwickshire).

The obverse die depicting King George III and Queen Charlotte was employed in the striking of the Middlesex "National Series" so maybe this piece with an advertising reverse could best be characterized as a mule. Regarding the personification, I've seen it variously identified as Britannia, Justice, and Moneta. Perhaps it's a composite of more than one of those. Since Lutwyche's name appears nowhere on either side, coupled with the technical flaw of the reverse die being significantly oversized relative to the flan, it'd seem not a very efficacious bit of promotion.

Colligo ergo sum
Learn More...
United States
97760 Posts
Valued Member
Canada
111 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2021  12:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add blargish to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The mules of the reverse of Lutwyche's storecard are pretty interesting! I own the following example, which uses an obverse die that links with the Regal Evasion series.

D&H Hampshire 90

It appears that at some point the continued production of underweight coppers with whatever dies were available was more important than any advertising benefit.
Learn More...
United States
97760 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2021  12:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I own the following example, which uses an obverse die that links with the Regal Evasion series.
Excellent!
Learn More...
Australia
13582 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2021  9:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You've seen those ads on TV, where you can't for the life of you figure out exactly what's being advertised? Yeah, this token is kind of like that.

"Yes, you've convinced me of the quality of your products. I'd like to place an order. Who are you, exactly?"

Quote:
Regarding the personification, I've seen it variously identified as Britannia, Justice, and Moneta. Perhaps it's a composite of more than one of those.

The tokens themselves identify the personage in question, in the exergue: "Dea Pecunia", the "Goddess of Money". She is not part of the standard Roman pantheon, but a modern concoction. She holds a scale, symbolizing the people's desire for coins to contain their full weight of metal - something the token manufacturers were keen to promote themselves as doing.

Besides Justice and Commerce, she also resembles Liberalitas (generosity), who often appears on ancient Roman coins holding a coin-counting-abacus and a bag of money - such coins were often made specifically for giving away at a congiarium, a public event where the emperor proved his generosity and overall niceness by ostentatiously gave away free money to the public. Not the message a token-maker-for-profit would want to send, however...
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 180Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.47 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05