Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

An Interesting German Medallion

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 338Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
336 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2021  12:28 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add mrwhatisit to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I picked up this German medallion at a flea market, and I am wondering if this dates to the ww1 period or so. I'm not sure how many were saved or what their function was.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Sweden
676 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2021  12:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add erafjel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The steam locomotive is actually of a model much older than WW1. The medal commemorates the German Industrial Exposition of 1844! Here is a link with some info: https://www.walpoleantiques.com/med...osition-1844
Valued Member
United States
336 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2021  1:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mrwhatisit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Mines uniface though.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Sweden
676 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2021  2:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add erafjel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Quite possibly a modern copy then. Still pretty nice.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
639 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2021  12:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add David Graham to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are obvious differences between the original and the OPs. The OPs specimen seems chunky and lacks detail.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
18429 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2021  01:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It would have been a 'no brainer' to buy such a handsome medal at a flea market sale myself, at reasonably low cost, without having the slightest of what it is.

A combination of finding answers by posting here in the CCF and Google Images goes a long way to making research much easier.

Thx erafgel for your input. All other comments valuable as well.
Edited by sel_69l
03/16/2021 01:35 am
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 338Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.24 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05