Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1999 Pennsylvania Quarter

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 571Next Topic  

United States
3 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2021  08:20 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add BmichelleB to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
My 11 year old daughter has started to collect coins. She found this 1999 Pennsylvania quarter and her internet search says it could be worth .25-$6,000. To an 11 year old this is exciting &. Could anyone tell me how to begin finding a value in some of these coins?

Pillar of the Community
United States
1778 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2021  08:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is this the site she visited?
https://coins.thefuntimesguide.com/...arter-value/
Chances are that this coin is just a normal well circulated quarter valued at $.25.

Better pictures would be needed to see if any errors are on this coin.
Collecting since 1972. Learning from then on
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin
My Dansco 7070 type set coin count: 31/76
My Dansco 8176 Eisenhower dollar Album coin count: 36/36
My Dansco 8166,8167 Kennedy half dollar Album coin count: 198/198
My Dansco 8140,8143-8147 Washington quarters Albums coin count: 423/423
Pillar of the Community
United States
1778 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2021  08:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
oh yeah!

to CCF
Collecting since 1972. Learning from then on
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin
My Dansco 7070 type set coin count: 31/76
My Dansco 8176 Eisenhower dollar Album coin count: 36/36
My Dansco 8166,8167 Kennedy half dollar Album coin count: 198/198
My Dansco 8140,8143-8147 Washington quarters Albums coin count: 423/423
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2021  08:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BmichelleB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you, I told her it was most likely not worth a large amount, but I promised I would find out for sure.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
39486 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2021  08:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to you and your daughter. What about it make you think it is worth a lot of money? I am seeing an environmentally damaged/stained coin worth 25. But do not get discouraged, there are nice coin to be found that have a premium. Good luck in your hunting.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58322 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2021  09:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

to the CCF!
Learn More...
United States
100962 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
1478 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2021  11:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi BmichelleB,

actually the range is more like $0.25- $7,000.00 but here's the deal. the most expensive ones are graded by a grading company, and graded highly like MS69 with very few peers in that grade.
the coin pictured would be worth $0.25, a below average circulated coin.

as far as values of coins, I'd suggest buying a copy of "A Guide Book of United States coins 2021" more commonly called "the Red Book" in the hobby. it has info and pictures and rough values and describes grading of coins, which is how a value is determined. it's a good starting position for someone that likes looking at change and finding things. the spriral bound paperback can be gotten for between $8 and $15, the hard cover for a bit more.

And it doesn't change much from year to year so older copies can be gotten for cheaper.

I get it though, an 11 year old. and a 1999 quarter is 22 years old and 11 years older than your kid. I'm sure the "aged" appearance caught her eye and made her want to know more.
As far as looking it all up on the internet, it's a bit more complicated for a child and not clear on what is the low end, and what is the high end for what is easy to understand and immediatly available on a search.

first this is the population reports of whats been graded of that coin with NGC and PCGS:
https://www.NGCcoin.com/census/unit...quarters/88/
https://www.PCGS.com/pop/detail/was...999-2008/720

From this you can see, only one coin of this date, state, and mintmark has been graded MS69 by NGC. this would be "top population" or the highest graded examples.
Next you would look up auction prices on either grading companies website, try to see what it recently sold for at auction, if it sold:
https://www.PCGS.com/auctionprices/...922536201498
https://coins.ha.com/itm/a/1251-9530.s
this information will tell you the NGC graded MS69 sold in a Heritage Auction for $7,050 in january of 2017. condition is king for collectors, that's the takeaway from it.

A copy of "the Red Book" will give her enough general information to connect the dots on what to learn if the interest is there as a hobby, but not too heavy for a child to understand and become overwhelmed. it's a good starter. I think most of us started like this. even that book, at least for me when I was a kid, kind of went over my head at first, but when I picked it up as I grew older, it all started to click on grading and determining grades, and estimating values.
meanwhile it's a good piece of reference material for beginners that has average prices so a kid can look up their pocket change and dream.

Here would be a link to the PCGS price guide, again, it's averages though, but you'll notice there's a drop off in value at MS67, and coins that have wear aren't even graded because low mint state coins are worth like $3-$4 and not even worth the cost of the grading fees.
https://www.PCGS.com/prices/detail/...des-61-70/ms

this is a reference on the internet for an average, but again, knowing how to grade, and Mint State coins from circulated coins with wear is pretty much everything.

Good luck and be blessed!
Edited by Big-Kingdom
03/16/2021 11:26 am
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2021  06:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BmichelleB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for all your advice. This quarter may not be worth more than a quarter, but I love that my daughter has found a hobby she is excited about. I will look into those books recommended.
United States
20 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2021  2:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add StringBeanJeans to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
BmichelleB, Welcome to the forum! Your post reminded me of myself when I was younger. I collect all coins now, but I started with and have a special place in my heart for quarters. I would like to send a cool quarter your way to add to your/her collection if I could somehow. I don't really know the best way to do that exactly, but let me know if you would be interested in that.
Thanks
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 571Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05