Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Pnwtype's Custom Dansco 7070 V. 2.0

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 24 / Views: 1,105Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
475 Posts
 Posted 03/19/2021  01:02 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add PNWType to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello again everyone!

I've been thinking, planning, and researching and put together a new custom 7070. This first post will be long, I'll explain my journey, a little about the album, and then start posting photos of where I am at, with a little about my changes. In the future I hope to update this thread as I update my 7070!

Since the last design: I originally posted my fully custom 7070 in January. I was immediately dissatisfied because it had rough edges, imperfect sizes, and the half dimes would slip into the body of the pages and escape! This all meant I needed a new plan. I instead focused on Dansco-made pages to assemble into a custom collection I was happy with and re-label what I needed to.

A bit on my commems journey: my focus in coin collecting is mainly on the designs and history. Therefore type sets are really my main interest. I had decided to start a 7094, or classic commemorative type, but I found that even thinking about the 7094 started giving me anxiety. In any condition, a full 7094 runs around $10k, and I'm not even in love with all the designs, especially some of the highest-dollar ones. I recognize my type set is far from cheap, but adding a 7094 meant setting up a LOT of future expenses. My solution was to integrate the Isabella, Lafayette, and Columbian into my 7070 then include 8 extra slots for my favorite classic commems. Then I could still collect the history/designs I liked and lower my eventual amount invested. I'll have more info on what was included and where as I post the pages!

A bit on my collection reduction: my personality prevailed and my minimalist desires took over. I have a great dislike for excess, and thus I have started trying to narrow my collection. My collection is now essentially just 3 albums and a lot of stuff I plan to sell. Now my focus is on what I like the most, my 7070, without distractions, nor push and pull on my wallet! When I invest in a coin, it is almost definitely headed into my 7070, and I like it that way. It's like my baby. Gets all my attention.

The final design: I started from a normal Dansco 7070. I altered the 2nd and 3rd page, replaced the 4th with half dollars and dollars pages, kept the 5th, and added in an intercept shield gold page. I haven't yet created proper labels, so I printed and taped in temporary labels. Beyond that, I've grown tired of modern clad coinage, so I redesigned pages to remove the clad coins, making space for more silver. This means that every coin present (minus the SBA, Sac, and State Quart.) is either a copper, nickel, silver, or gold. Furthermore, much like Dansco originally did, due to space limitations, I occasionally included a type in only 1 denomination, just to have it represented, e.g. the No Stars Seated Liberty is only present as a dime, but I am happy to see the type present.

Phew! Thanks for reading! Time for coin pictures!
Valued Member
United States
475 Posts
 Posted 03/19/2021  01:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PNWType to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Page 1

No changes were made from the normal Dansco 7070 Page 1

Edited by PNWType
03/19/2021 02:41 am
Valued Member
United States
475 Posts
 Posted 03/19/2021  01:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PNWType to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Page 2

The changes have begun! I removed the clad Roosevelt, ultimately it is the same as the silver version, just not silver. In its place I shifted everything over and was able to include the No Stars Seated dime. Unfortunately there is no space for the no stars half dime, nor the Seated dime with arrows and legend.

Valued Member
United States
475 Posts
 Posted 03/19/2021  01:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PNWType to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Page 3

Again, the clad is removed, but this time it is replaced by the Isabella quarter. In the half dollars section, everything has been shifted because 3 capped halves are represented: lettered edge, reeded "50 CENTS", and reeded "HALF DOL". Then in the seated section, the arrows and rays type is present, covering that type despite the quarter not having a space.

Valued Member
United States
475 Posts
 Posted 03/19/2021  01:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PNWType to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Page 4

Here we see the majority of the changes! The arrows and motto seated is present, also repping the same type of quarter and representing, though indirectly, the arrows and legend dime. Then the Columbian half is present. The obv. MM and rev. MM Walkers. Types 1 and 2 Benjies. Kennedy 0.9 Ag and 0.4 Ag. Then the two early 0.9 Ag modern commemorative halves. I don't know why the Madison half was made in silver, unlike all the rest being clad, nor why it was minted at West Point, unlike all the rest, but it is a welcome inclusion. Then we have the 8 spaces for classic commems! The missing ones in order are: Panama-Pacific, Texas, Norfolk, and Roanoke. Other contenders are Gettysburg, Hudson, and Bay Bridge.

Edit: Just noticed a small gaffe in the label title. Should say 1892-1954. Will likely change it to 1915-1954 because the Columbian is included special above

Edited by PNWType
03/19/2021 01:28 am
Valued Member
United States
475 Posts
 Posted 03/19/2021  01:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PNWType to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Page 5

Now the big silver! The Morgan is now included 3 times: 8 TF, Rev of 1878, and the third reverse. The Lafayette dollar is represented on this page. The Peace dollar includes both high and low relief. The Eisenhower is specifically a 0.4 Ag version. Then the last two spaces are for the .999 Ag Morgan and Peace dollars for this year! I wanted to include one of the newer spec .999 Ag commems somewhere, and those seem like they'll be some awesome pieces

Valued Member
United States
475 Posts
 Posted 03/19/2021  01:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PNWType to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Page 6 and 7

The moderns page isn't the most striking, but it includes some important stuff. The bicentennials are all the 0.4 Ag versions. Otherwise everything is the same. I've been debating switching to all proofs so I could include the 0.9 Ag proof State Quarter, and to make this page more visually interesting...

Page 7 is pretty barren, but I'm working on it! Went for IS because the color contrast is nice, can't beat the price, and the T-II dollar and 3 dollar deserve spaces!

That's all for now! I'd love to know what you think! Now that I am adhering to the given holes, this project is a lot more flexible. And, as mentioned above, I will be updating with coins as I fill holes. Hopefully coin shows can return soon!
Edited by PNWType
03/19/2021 01:25 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
5254 Posts
 Posted 03/19/2021  09:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As I've said in the past, I don't care for Dansco's definition of a US type set.
BUT
That's the nice feature of a type set.
You can define it any way you please.
My personal preference is the NGC Registry Type Set.

BTW, nice type set you've got there.
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Edited by kanga
03/19/2021 09:30 am
Learn More...
United States
100593 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4897 Posts
 Posted 03/19/2021  11:54 am  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Phenomenal looking set. You're well on your journey.
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
https://www.coincommunity.com/forum...IC_ID=303507
Valued Member
United States
475 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2021  6:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PNWType to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
New addition to the dollars page, an 1878 Rev. of 1878, 7 TF Morgan dollar! That completes my search for Morgan dollars (upgrades always an option though!)

Side Note: The set has been edited and is now 113 instead of 100 coins total. I will likely provide details as I fill the new slots

Learn More...
United States
100593 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2021  11:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
New addition to the dollars page, an 1878 Rev. of 1878, 7 TF Morgan dollar! That completes my search for Morgan dollars (upgrades always an option though!)
Excellent!

Quote:
Side Note: The set has been edited and is now 113 instead of 100 coins total. I will likely provide details as I fill the new slots
Valued Member
United States
280 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2021  02:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MisterT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very Impressive set by my standards! You should be proud!
Valued Member
United States
475 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2021  8:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PNWType to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Bicentennial/Modern page is officially being changed over to proof designs (mainly so the clad State Quarter can be replaced with a silver proof). Here are the first additions, a 1976-S Silver Proof set:

Pillar of the Community
United States
1213 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2021  8:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Excellent set!
Have you considered contacting Dansco and showing your set? They might take some of your ideas under advise.
Valued Member
United States
475 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2021  12:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PNWType to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
NumisEd, I've considered it for sure, but it feels like a dream that Dansco will ever update their type album, much less make changes to the 19th century designs they included

I'll probably draft up an email in the next few weeks with my prior 7070 design that reached up to the modern day. Maybe they will take some inspiration, sure would be awesome
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 24 / Views: 1,105Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.51 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05