Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1956 D Lincoln Wheat Cent "Controversial" - WRPD-001, DDO-001 (Delisted)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 365Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3297 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2021  10:59 pm Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
There was a lot going on at the Denver mint in 1956, mostly with wandering mint marks. But one of the controversial cents that showed up was this one, originally listed by CONECA as DDO-001 (a doubled die) and by Wexler as WRPD-001 (a repunched date).

Well given that a repunched date seems impossible for a 1956-D coin, both CONECA and Wexler pulled their listings and now it is just considered random die damage that looks like an extra 5.

Even though this isn't actually anything, it was originally a DDO-001 so have been looking for a slabbed and labeled one to add to the collection. Saw this come up and got it for $22. Would still love to find one with DDO-001 on the slab, but not even sure any were done that way.

1956-D Lincoln Wheat cent debunked - WRPD-001, DDO-001

Pillar of the Community
United States
1567 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2021  12:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jmkendall to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think debunked is probably to strong. I could very well be wrong, as I have not kept up with any current research on this coin. I am not aware of any proof that it was die damage, merely educated opinion.

As a former investigator and Engineer it is an axium that anything that is not proved to be impossible is by definition possible. I can't tell you how many times a low order probability has turned out to be true.

Again, though I admit that I have not seen any current papers which offer iron clad proof that this is impossible. If such a proof exist I will gladly accept it.
Valued Member
United States
308 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2021  02:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CentSation to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice piece of history for relatively cheap -- A nice example to have.
Edited by CentSation
03/21/2021 02:16 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
1547 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2021  02:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add eddiespin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very well done grabbing this one. I've not heard of anything like this taken back, so this is quite the education. How CONECA got this minor Strike Doubling as a DDO I find truly fascinating.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3297 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2021  12:52 pm  Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't really see any Strike Doubling on the coin. The die has some kind of dent on it that looks a lot like a tilted 5, and the question has always been whether that was actually a struck on there or just a random dent that looks like a 5. Once it was determined that the mint was engraving dates into the master dies, then it would seem, a repunched date was not a possible answer.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1547 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2021  2:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add eddiespin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm referring to the flat secondary images coming off the date and mint mark. I see what CONECA thought might be part of a tilted 5 underlying the 5. The flat secondary images are from the strike.
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 365Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05