Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Took A Gamble On Unopened Mint Box 1965

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 2,054Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community

Canada
1232 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2021  11:06 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add purelywasted to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
So I took a gamble on an unopened box of 1965 pl sets x 5. It is dated 1965 and wrapped in RCM tape. It should arrive next week.

Anyone have any experience with them? Would love to hear your experience

Kind of excited, paid a couple bucks over melt, so not much of a risk. Will post photos when it arrives.
Pillar of the Community
United States
749 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2021  01:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chipjones to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I sold 375 sets to a dealer two years ago
Pillar of the Community
Canada
616 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2021  07:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T1Steel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a link to my thread on box of 5 1967 sets.

http://goccf.com/t/205763
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1109 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2021  10:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add johnnysprawl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Unopened sets are pretty cool and exciting, but Tripoli's comment at the end of the link posted by T1Steel pretty well sums it all up...
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3924 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2021  11:04 am  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is nothing at all exciting about opening
unopened , 1963 to 1967 Silver PL sets, especially
1965 . These things were saved that way by many.
In the last two years we bought over 200 sets from
a Victoria Dealer and previous to that over 500 from
an Abbotsford hoard .....all never opened.
Over 99 per cent straight to the melt bucket .
Quite frankly the quality of 1965 sets are blooming
awful .
Even worse the scissor nicks and the Pliofilm
and cardboard recycling.
Edited by Pacificoin
03/21/2021 11:30 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1746 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2021  11:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add papeldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Has the large bead 1965 5 cent ever been found in PL sets?

I couldn't find anything on LB PL 5 cents, this is what I found in an older PL uncirculated sets book I have

Edited by papeldog
03/21/2021 12:34 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1109 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2021  12:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add johnnysprawl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't see any PL 5c large beads in the ICCS pop report, so I assume they were circulation strikes only...
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3924 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2021  2:02 pm  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Most likely unofficial back door jobs .
It was the Wild Wild West at the old RCM
In the mid 1960s .
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1746 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2021  2:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add papeldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Of the above PL sets I have many of the #2+3 sets, 2 of the #4 sets and 0 of the # 1 sets. I'm still dreaming to find a LB 5 cent.
Learn More...
Canada
9745 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2021  11:32 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have never found a Type 1 (pointed 5) 1-cent in PL sets. I have found clipped 1c and 50c errors, and Type 3 1-cent coins are somewhat scarce.

A Type 3 1-cent with a strong cameo would be well worth the price.
"Discovery follows discovery, each both raising and answering questions, each ending a long search, and each providing the new instruments for a new search." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1232 Posts
 Posted 03/23/2021  2:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add purelywasted to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Box arrived. A little smaller than I thought, but makes sense.

Now it's time to open.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1845 Posts
 Posted 03/23/2021  2:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1232 Posts
 Posted 03/23/2021  2:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add purelywasted to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pictures to come later, back to work.

Coins look great, no big dings or other apparent issues, the fields look really nice, some nice cameo's, especially on dimes, a bit of purplish toning on one edge of dimes and a couple others. Sadly no large beads

$1.00 - 4 x SB P5, 1 x SB B5, a couple with some cameo
$0.50 - 1 cameo
$0.25 - nothing really special
$0.10 - 5 x Heavy/UHC cameo, a bit of purplish toning, both sides have great cameo
$0.05 - 2 cameo
$0.01 - SB B5 - 1 with a bit of cameo

Overall pretty happy with the box, would definitely do again at similar price. Should have a few upgrades to my PL set and looking forward to a closer later.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1746 Posts
 Posted 03/23/2021  4:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add papeldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
purelywasted, some of the 5 cent coins in the PL sets have extra claws on back paw.
Minor but something to look for
Edited by papeldog
03/23/2021 4:06 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1232 Posts
 Posted 03/23/2021  6:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add purelywasted to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here are the images

Learn More...
Canada
9745 Posts
 Posted 03/23/2021  8:33 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That bottom set, the 10c might even get a DCAM designation with PCGS - both sides are frosty!
"Discovery follows discovery, each both raising and answering questions, each ending a long search, and each providing the new instruments for a new search." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 2,054Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.56 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05