Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1876 And 1888 Opinion

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 340Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Canada
736 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2021  09:50 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello, I will want if possible have your opinion on the error and what grade could be, I have those for a buy at (80 $).

1976 I point the error with flash.

Appreciate. I have those in collection but more interesting ones will make my happy.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3569 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2021  10:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have looked at thousands and thousands of both 1876's and 1888's. Every 1876 that I have seen has the 8 R/P'd so your coin is "normal". All 3 of the 8's in the 1888's can be found, sometimes with 1, some with 2, some with all 3 8's repunched, with offsets and direction different on most of them. The only "scarce" 1888 would be one without any 8's repunched. You have your AU coins prices over 50% too much. Both are very very common. If you are going to delve into Vicky varieties, you really need to pick up Rob Turner's ("bosox") Dies and Diadems to know the striking hierarchy of the Vicky cents and what is a "variety" and what is "normal". I don't think that you can get more than $30-40 for the pair, depending on if it's Canadian or US dollars.
Valued Member
United States
319 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2021  5:28 pm  Show Profile   Check 1960NYGiants's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 1960NYGiants to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I highly recommend finding a copy of the 2011 Charlton catalogue (black cover with large cent on it). The back section or chapter has a listing of some of the harder to varieties of large cents with good B&W photos.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3569 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2021  5:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Gene: When we turned in the photos and write-ups for the variety section, the photos were great, in color, and high definition, but Charlton reduced the size, made them "fuzzy" and turned them to B&W so they could get it in the book. It was also reduced from our initial 100+ down to 80 pages due to space available.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
736 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2021  8:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you very much. I will go to pick-up Ros 's studies, this is missing me. Also probably I will take the last Charlton also just for up-grade the indexes.

Back to those coins, what approach me more for them was the colour. I have in MS60 certified but brown and for me if I do not have physically contact with a coin, stamp or banknote, just by photos I am not able to see the approximative grade. I like to have them when it is possible in MS60 and up for my collection. Oki thanks also about the estimative value versus trading trend. I do not look exactly for eventually profit values when come to large cent and 50 cent because is a hobby and a pleasure for me to have and admire, but at 50% up of the trend will take another 100 years to balance the investment and my follows will say I was a bad investor.

I like to collect varieties not strike errors. For me those errors are only an trading tools.

All my best to all
Thanks
Edited by silviosi
03/26/2021 8:18 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2112 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2021  8:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rocky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
silviosi very nice coins, excellent. you have a great one.
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 340Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05