Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

April 2021 Releases - Equinox Behind Us, Spring Is In The Air

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 48 / Views: 4,401Next Topic
Page: of 4
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
514 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2021  12:57 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add vonigohcr to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This month's release list is short.

Pure Silver - $449 - 3.3oz - $50 Face - 55mm - Mintage 1,500 - Multilayer Cougar - 2 layered reverse with a cougar proud of the background
Pure Silver w' Bronze embellishment - $649 - 5oz - $50 Face - 65.25mm - Mintage 1,000 - Astrolabe
Pure Silver w' rhodium plating, swarovski crystaks & Mother of Pearl - $159 - 1oz - $20 Face - 38mm - Mintage 4,000 - QEII Tiara
Pure Gold with selective Platinum plating, diamonds & pearls -$7,839 - 2oz - $250 Face - 38mm Mintage 175 - QEII Tiara
Pure Platinum w' selective yellow and rose gold plating - $3099 - 1oz - $300 Face - 30mm - Mintage 300 - Maple leaf (25th anniversary of Maple leaf as official tree)
Base - 50Cent Roll - special wrap - $25 - Mintage 15,000
Base - 50Cent Roll(100 anniversary of Canada's coat of arms) - Special Wrap - 25 - Mintage 10,000

Subscriptions:
Pure Silver w' coloured image - $189 - 2oz - $30 Face - 50mm - Mintage 2,500 - White tailed deer (3rd coin in Imposing Icons series)

For Canadian purchasers, the QEII Tiara coins and the 50 cent wraps are flagged as + Taxes.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
929 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2021  2:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add New1954 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
CC&C just released notice as well and they are stating that the QEII silver coin is tax exempt. I will wait for RCM to send me the notice probably tonight after midnight since I did not spend over 10,000. last year. Still trying to figure this out.
Edited by New1954
03/30/2021 12:44 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
514 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2021  2:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add vonigohcr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The note on Tax included was from the RCM... If CC&C can sell without GST/HST where the RCM can't I expect that RCM direct sales will collapse.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
529 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2021  3:54 pm  Show Profile   Check jimper's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jimper to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like and will buy the Pure Silver - $449 - 3.3oz - $50 Face - 55mm - Mintage 1,500 - Multilayer Cougar - 2 layered reverse with a cougar proud of the background.
Will go nicely with the Multilayer Toonie that came out in 2019. One of my favorite coin in my collection.
"If you lose it here, you're in a world of hurt"
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6557 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2021  7:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like I'll be watching April's release from the sidelines - nothing of interest for me.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
514 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2021  8:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add vonigohcr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@commems
Quote:
Looks like I'll be watching April's release from the sidelines - nothing of interest for me.

You may want to take a look at the anniversary 50cent given your interest in the coat of arms reverses... that said it should be available as a single from an online dealer for a dollar or so and you can avoid the 100% markup on the roll.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2839 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2021  11:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MoneyPenney to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
For Canadian purchasers, the QEII Tiara coins and the 50 cent wraps are flagged as + Taxes.

When you go to CC&C and put the QEII Tiera coin in the cart for checkout there is no taxes.

Special wrap coins always have taxes because they are not pure silver/gold. No change there.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
648 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2021  12:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Looney4Numi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I like and will buy the Pure Silver - $449 - 3.3oz - $50 Face - 55mm - Mintage 1,500 - Multilayer Cougar - 2 layered reverse with a cougar proud of the background.
Will go nicely with the Multilayer Toonie that came out in 2019. One of my favorite coin in my collection.

I like it, too. Too bad it doesn't come with a nice wooden box, like the Multilayer Polar Bear, but still a great looking coin imo!

Looks like a very good rendering of the cougar, unlike a few in the past.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
929 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2021  12:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add New1954 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ALSO, at CC&C the GOLD Queen Lover's Knot Tiara is TAX EXEMPT; whereas at RCM it is PLUS TAXES on $7.839.00? What is going on? AND, how come that Astrolabe coin (with bronze) at RCM is tax exempt? I am not understanding why this astrolabe coin is tax exempt?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
648 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2021  03:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Looney4Numi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
how come that Astrolabe coin (with bronze) at RCM is tax exempt? I am not understanding why this astrolabe coin is tax exempt?

It appears that this coin is pure silver, including the astrolabe. If you look closely at the photo it looks like paint, which could mean that the whole coin is pure silver.

Also, unlike the Lover's Knot Tiara coins at CC&C, the Astrolabe coin's description does not mention any embellishment. So, I'm guessing that this is the reason that it's tax exempt at both CC&C and at RCM: pure silver, partially painted. The description states that a mariner's astrolabe is made of brass or bronze. It does not state that the astrolabe on the coin is brass or bronze.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6557 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2021  09:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@vonigohcr: Thanks for the heads up. I'll have another look.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
929 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2021  11:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add New1954 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Looney4Numi but on the RCM site it states it is bronze plated so is this not an embellishment? I had to pay tax on the MC coin last month that was gold plated. What is the difference?
Edited by New1954
03/30/2021 11:48 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
514 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2021  12:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add vonigohcr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The whole tax situation in Canada is a mess. This has been stated before on other threads but if GST/HST is not consistently assigned and collected, there will be issues when the various parties get audited. I can only assume that the current RCM position is as a result of a CRA review/audit. Based on the rules regarding purity of the PM for investment classification, it makes sense to me for the Tiara to be taxable... It is clearly not an investment metal coin... not with diamonds, pearls, swarovski attached. It is also clear that the astrolabe is in the same category as not meeting the standard of a high purity PM that can double as an investment. By that same token, the white tailed deer with its coloured image could/should also fail to meet the investment grade PM standard.

Given that the GST of 5% (Ontario HST of 13%) impacts the gold tiara coin by $392 (or $1,020)... It is a no brainer to purchase through a channel that will not charge the GST/HST. If the RCM wants to remain in the direct sales business (as it is safe to assume they do) I doubt that they will allow this to continue; if I were them and saw my direct sales business collapsing, I would refer the other vendors to CRA for an opinion and the other vendors will be required to comply with the GST/HST ruling or the RCM will get a reversal of the CRA position and will be allowed to remove the GST/HST.

I know that being a BC resident, I get to save 7% PST if I purchase from an out of province vendor vs. the RCM or a LCS as they charge the PST on most every purchase... On big purchases this can be significant...

I don't think this issue is over yet and I expect more to come.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
2839 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2021  12:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MoneyPenney to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Given that the GST of 5% (Ontario HST of 13%) impacts the gold tiara coin by $392 (or $1,020).

I don't believe Ontario customers can separate the GST from the HST so they would pay the full tax amount of $1020 if buying from the Mint. If Ontarians buy from a PST province like BC, then they can save some taxes as they would only pay the 5% GST which is $392.

It would be the same for BC coin collectors if they buy out of province so they would just pay 5% GST which is $392.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
514 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2021  1:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add vonigohcr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I don't believe Ontario customers can separate the GST from the HST

You are correct. The Federal tax is either GST or HST, if you are in a jurisdiction where you get charged HST, you don't pay GST as it is embedded or as the name says "Harmonized". Here in BC, we have a separation between the federal GST and the provincial PST. There are different rules for PST vs. GST so... I pay PST for all RCM product, even the "pure" metals.

The BC tax code says (paraphrased) that any coin sold with a collector premium is not an investment and as such is subject to PST. So I would pay PST at 7% for the Tiara coin if I purchased it from either a federal or provincial vendor e.g. RCM or LCS. If I purchase from a vendor that doesn't have a bricks & mortar presence in BC (CC&C) then they don't have a BC tax # and as such, I don't pay the PST. For smaller items, it is often cheaper to buy from the RCM as most online vendors charge some form of shipping and the PST from the RCM combined with Masters Club free shipping can be less than no PST with paid shipping.... obviously in the case of the gold tiara coin this situation is reversed.

This was one of the stated advantages from a government perspective for moving to the HST as we did in BC in 2010 before the reversal to GST/PST in 2013 as a result of a referendum.

More and more organizations are being rolled into the PST net... I just received notification that as of April 1, Netfix will be charging PST... as will all other streaming services...(Disney +, Spotify etc.)

It is only a matter of time and figuring out logistics before out of province LCS are rolled into PST... or the BC government will get smart and re-harmonize and reintroduce the HST... It was actually cheaper on the whole and way less confusing than the separate PST with its variable rates and arbitrary application.

As of right now, only Ontario (13%) and the four maritime provinces (15%) charge HST. The rest are GST (5%) + PST which ranges from 0% (Alberta and the three Territories) to 9.975% in Quebec.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4932 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2021  5:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can't seem to find/view any of them on their site...how about some links next time...
I'm by no means a pro and will never claim to be...just my 2 cents
A smile costs nothing to give or receive....GF
If it's not hockey, it's not a sport
Page: of 4 Previous TopicReplies: 48 / Views: 4,401Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.44 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05