Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1968 Washington Quarter Clad Missing

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 514Next Topic
Page: of 2
United States
9 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2021  12:14 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Fredrocoinman to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

How much does an error like this go for?

*** Edited by Staff to Add Year / Mintmark / Denomination to Title. Titles are Important! ***
Pillar of the Community
Canada
9398 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2021  12:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The cladding is still there and it is not an error.
That is damage from being punched with something and
pushing the metal out to the reverse.
Worth 25 cents.
Edited by JimmyD
04/05/2021 12:19 pm
United States
9 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2021  12:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Fredrocoinman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry I thought I changed the topic name. I noticed the coin looked dented.The reverse is flat and in fact is a result of mint damage. Anyone have an idea what it should sell for?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
38499 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2021  12:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. Not a mint error, PMD. Value is 25
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
Canada
637 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2021  12:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is no way to be minting process. The whole mint do not has this kind of punch. Is 100% PMD. This remember me my testing of the air guns power.
Edited by silviosi
04/05/2021 12:53 pm
Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
21224 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2021  1:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not an error, punched with something after, that's exactly why the other side is flat.
United States
9 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2021  02:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Fredrocoinman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Its flat on the reverse flush with the coin. Had it been punched, it would protrude past the rim or high point of the reverse side. To add to my observation the inner edge of the dent on the obverse side the metal does not appear stretched. The force and the direction if tooled punching that size would have bent the metal or caused protrusions. The coin is not bent or warped and the hole has been spread my force outwards not sagging in the direction of the force. A punch or anything hammered would need atleast the exact same pressure on both sides pressing the coin inwards. The replies prior to this response are incorrect. Sorry!I'm all for speculation but please understand the logic of my opinion. If you think its punched then replicate it identically and post your results.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
38499 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2021  04:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Exact weight please. 0.000 not 0.00 places please.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
United States
118 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2021  08:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Parnelli917 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
25 cents... or less. Possibly a well-word drill press result. Not a mint error.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
637 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2021  08:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The drill will not flat the other side.
Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
21224 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2021  09:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Its flat on the reverse flush with the coin. Had it been punched, it would protrude past the rim or high point of the reverse side

If you're going to use a punch on the coin where are you going to put it? Are you going to hold in in your hand? No. Are you going to put a thick sponge under it? No.

You're going to put it on the hardest, flattest, surface you can find before you whack it. That makes it flat and spread out on the other side.

Instead of arguing with us, tell us exactly how this happens during the minting process.

Please resist the urge to look at a coin and ask yourself "What happened to this coin." This is the completely wrong question if you want to be a collector. You will drive yourself crazy. There are literally millions of ways to damage a coin.

Study the basic minting process a bit, then reprogram your brain to ask instead, "How can this happen during the minting process?" There is a finite amount of ways an error coin can happen. When you eliminate the minting process, you're left with damage no matter how it happened.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
637 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2021  10:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
100% and I do not understand why when I put links from ANA mint production course, the Philla, Denver and San Francisco mint production with the way the dies are done, (1 and half or two month ago) was move somewhere and not put on the tutorial of the site?

Technology change but the chain of production not to much.
Valued Member
United States
118 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2021  10:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Parnelli917 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@silvios

Not a drill but a drill press. A drill press would not only might remove metal without showing signs of displacement on the coin, it could also generate tremendous pressure. Enough to cause flattening on the reverse. This drill press on Amazon can generate more than 1.5 tons of pressure. https://www.amazon.com/Magnetic-Mac...p/B0756F2G3L

However, this is just speculation on my part. It is hard to know for certain how this damage was done. I'm just guessing.
Valued Member
United States
118 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2021  10:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Parnelli917 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Actually, if you look at the hole on the obverse, it seems to show signs of drill bit damage (shark fins) at various places around the hole. Again, just my 2 cents worth!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
637 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2021  11:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree that are drills of 1, 2 tons. The fact it is I never see a drill to do an perfect convex hole, like half ball.

and even there will be a PMD, post mint damage so no interest for point of view of collecting. I do not thing the mints has a press drill there. Before for die production they use pantograph and now laser.

PS you has to accept the reality.
Edited by silviosi
04/07/2021 11:22 am
Valued Member
United States
118 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2021  11:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Parnelli917 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@silviosi

You are right. The bottom of the hole doesn't look as pointed as a typical drill bit, although I have seen CNC machines with rounded heads. But it is clearly not damage done at the mint. PMD whatever it is.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 514Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.2 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05