Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

My '43 War Nickel Could Benefit From A Little More CCF Attention

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 163Next Topic  
Valued Member
Learn More...

United States
237 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2021  08:02 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Kcm to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This is a refurbishment of the post I authored a day or two ago (Posted 04/04/2021 4:21 pm). I won't rehash what's there but I plan a dearth of images here and one might find cause to refer to the earlier post.

http://goccf.com/t/396752

My earlier post blew up on the launch pad. Discussion wandered to discussion of MD, PMD, DDO etc. Such discussion strikes me as irrelevant. I regard myself to be fairly adept at pegging incidents of those phenomena. I'm less adept at flagging a few others. My research on this coin brings me to the realm of overdates.

I'll restrict this post to one l image to begin with. It encompasses my attempt to show your mind what my mind sees there (not necessarily what IS there). And., yes, I'm aware there's no such thing as a 1943/3 War Nickel. Still, would anyone care join me and this coin in the fantasy that one may exist?

Given the option of choosing between a very interesting coin or a rather valuable one, I'd choose the former every time . My vexation lies in the fact that the two so often coincide.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
637 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2021  09:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Given the option of choosing between a very interesting coin or a rather valuable one, I'd choose the former every time . My vexation lies in the fact that the two so often coincide.

In some way the both roads you look intersect, and the conclusions always are direct proportional with our own point of view.

I looked at your previous post and now, I understand where you look. Yes the digit "3" is a little bit out of what was suppose to be. This could be more of a die who is at the end of the life and also due to the age and circulation effect on the coin.

In those years except the mint marks the rest was a part of the master die. so anything related to deformation is more a fatigue of the die or circulation effects, in this case.

The value of the coin or the collectable mean nothing. I will not pay the FLU-FLU e-bay or Esty some ask, but if it is a interesting historical I will accept a high premium. Historical for me mean not necessary the country times it is the way the coin in this case was done and the variability find.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3262 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2021  09:27 am  Show Profile   Check Tanman2001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Tanman2001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The last year the US mint added dates to the working die by hand is 1908. Any "1943/3" that may exist would then just be some class of doubled die.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
237 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2021  09:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kcm to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Tanman's

Quote:
The last year the US mint added dates to the working die by hand is 1908. Any "1943/3" that may exist would then just be some class of doubled die.

Makes this re-launch a success already. I learned a thing I did not know. Thank you @Tanman

Edit: And I learn from you @Silviosi. I thank you!

Kevin

Edited by Kcm
04/07/2021 09:38 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
637 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2021  09:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Be welcome Kevin,

And I thanks to Tanman2001 for the information. I will put on my database. I know that till mid 70's they reused the previous dies changing the last digit but I do not know the approx. year when they stop punch manually the year.
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 163Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.61 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05