Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Older Coin, Not 100% Sure What It. Is , Can't Read Any Of It.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 336Next Topic  

United States
16 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2021  9:47 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add mforder to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I am not not sure what I have but I thought maybe someone here could tell me. If so I would GREATLY appreciate it.

I have attached a few pictures. I believe it's something called a BAO but that is as much as I think I know. I am sure it's as common as a 2020 US penny.

Thank you,

---Mark

Edited by mforder
04/09/2021 9:48 pm
Valued Member
New Zealand
71 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2021  03:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pdg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm definitely no expert but it's a Chinese 1 cash coin, cast in brass (?). I'd say it's from the Emperor Kao Tsung (1736-95), Peking (Beijing) mint. If I'm wrong I'm sure someone here will be able to jump in with the right answer.
Edited by pdg
04/10/2021 03:27 am
United States
16 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2021  05:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mforder to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hello PDG,

Thank you for the response. I ahad no idea that that goin could be that old. That's pretty darn old to me. Interesting since I had it since I was a kid and I always wondered what it was. I believe as a kid I received it from my mother, her father had it in his small collection when my mom was growing up. I would figured it came from the early 1900's.

Thanks again,

---Mark
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4127 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2021  06:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@pdg is right. Krause lists it as #C1-1, a general issue of the board of revenue, cast brass. It is extremely common, even in higher grades like yours is.
United States
16 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2021  07:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mforder to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Oriel and PDG,

This can mean only one thing now. It's back to work on Monday. Still it is neat to know I have a coin that old and what it it.

Thanks again,

---Mark
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3465 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2021  08:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I am sure it's as common as a 2020 US penny.
Probably yes! Qianlong (Kao Tsung) had a very long and prosperous reign, and this is one of the largest and most prolific mints. Those coins were made by the literal billions.

This is still a 18th century coin, however. It's just the most common 18th century coin there is.
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 336Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05