Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Is It A Cleaned Coin?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 470Next Topic  
Valued Member
Lebanon
325 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2021  2:08 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add chronos to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello
I bought this Lebanese 5 piastres 1952 made of aluminum on eBay ,and the seller described it as FDC coin, when I asked him about the grade equivalent , he said it may considered as ms65 .
When received I have a doubt about its grade and I feel like it may be cleaned .
What do you think?And should he specified it?
On eBay the seller don't accept return what to do in this case ?

Edited by chronos
04/13/2021 5:27 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3162 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2021  2:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is this coin Blue in hand?
Valued Member
Lebanon
325 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2021  2:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chronos to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
no its is the light reflection giving it a blue color
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3162 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2021  2:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You should change your light source.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3957 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2021  2:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Older aluminum coins are almost always a bugger to determine if they've been cleaned--unless the cleaning was done with a wire brush or emersion in sea water as a cleaning agent. As far as grade goes, I'm thinking high AU--but very difficult to tell given the photos.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
56901 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2021  3:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree, tough to figure out if this has been cleaned from these pics.
Valued Member
Lebanon
325 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2021  3:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chronos to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It does not have a cartwheel luster , and near the letters the coin is darker at least do you think it is as described an FDC coin?
Edited by chronos
04/13/2021 5:29 pm
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3463 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2021  5:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To my very inexpert eye, it doesn't look cleaned but it doesn't look MS either - it almost certainly saw some circulation. I'd estimate XF-45 or thereabouts. Neat coin though.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4654 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2021  7:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
with @j1m.

I used to have some nice aluminum coins from that era, and I don't see the luster I would expect on a FDC example.

I also agree that Lebanese coins with the Phoenician galley / cedar tree are handsome classics.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
20201 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2021  10:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sort of to late anyway due to no return policy.
just carl
Valued Member
Lebanon
325 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2021  10:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chronos to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
what about it is said that is protected by eBay money back guarantee ?
Edited by chronos
04/14/2021 10:16 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5707 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2021  12:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
what about it is said that is protected by eBay money back guarantee ?

eBay can help if you can demonstrate that you did not receive what you ordered/what was described by the seller.

If the seller is not offering any cooperation, I'd contact eBay customer service. But, I would try to resolve things directly with the seller first!

Good luck! Let us know how things turn out.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Valued Member
Lebanon
325 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2021  3:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chronos to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I send him a message saying that it wasn't as described not an FDC coin and there was marks that didn't appear on the eBay pic.He responded by saying however it kept its luster , and he offered to return back about 27% back of its price.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5707 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2021  3:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
...and he offered to return back about 27% back of its price.

Well, it's now up to you to decide. Does the refund make you comfortable with the price you paid? Are you happy enough with coin to keep it at the reduced price? Is it a fair price?

I can't tell form the images whether it's a nice AU coin, an MS coin or a cleaned coin - it clearly doesn't have luster. I'm not familiar with the coin, so I can't offer much in the way of specifics, but if it doesn't work for you at the reduced price, you may have to get eBay involved.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Valued Member
Lebanon
325 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2021  3:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chronos to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Im a bit disappointed specially that the seller is a professional with more than 15000 feedback count.
Actually this coin is cheap less than 20 $ but the price between an ms65 is the triple of the same coin with ms60 grade .I paid for the ms65 price and surely this coin doesn't deserve this price, but I don't believe it is worth it to contact eBay and sending it back.
The problem with these aluminum coins ,that are bit difficult to find in high grade , rarely graded because grading will cost more than the coins price as a result rarely seen in reputable auction houses
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 470Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.32 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05