Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Collecting Pre Decimal 3 & 6 Pence

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 2 / Views: 264Next Topic  
Valued Member
United Kingdom
120 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2021  12:04 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add SueCoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello,

I have a decent collection of the subject matter - 3p's are all .999 with some consecuitive.
The 6p's I have 260 in mutiple consecuitive runs.

Is it worth looking out for and buying my missing years of either? I'm not well off but it is so far the most fun I've had in a long time but dont want to throw good money at bad.
Any advice?

Sue
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
634 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2021  1:45 pm  Show Profile   Check PaddyB's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add PaddyB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you enjoy collecting them, it is certainly worth building the collection further. Do some research though - not all years in the 3Ds are possible - either none made, or only in Maundy, or sometimes exceedingly rare (like 1945). Similarly with the 6Ds - many years back into early Victorian days are reasonably affordable in lower grades, but some are mega-pricy even in very low grades, and some not possible at all. If you are going to get serious into it, you will want to go for the best grades you can afford, in which case you need to swat up on grading too.

I suggest you pick up a cheap coin book - many are available under 15 - and do your homework before buying anymore. Otherwise the Ebay hype may persuade you to spend a fortune on something worthless! (Most 6Ds after 1947, except 1952, can be bought for under 1 even in great condition.)
Valued Member
United Kingdom
120 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2021  2:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SueCoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Paddy,

I think will give the 6D's a miss but wil get a book on the 3D and yes I noticed fairly rapidly that EBay is a totaly useless indicator of anything so will begin actual study.
Shame I got the inheritance beginning spring as am a garden nut so coins are an excelent Winter sport.

Sue
  Previous TopicReplies: 2 / Views: 264Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05