Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1984 Penny - Looks Like A Double Ear Please Advise

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 234Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
255 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2021  8:11 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Dbroo1999 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Is this doubling on his ear ?

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1858 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2021  11:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rothery to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can't really say what's going on with the ear. I'm only familiar with this one from 1984 and it doesn't really look like your pictures (?). Hopefully other error experts will chime in!

1984 DDO-001 (Variety Vista)
http://www.varietyvista.com/01b%20L...4PDDO001.htm

Everything can change in just one day.........
Best Lincoln roll find & Nicest WOODY find
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." - Will Rogers
Edited by Rothery
04/15/2021 11:03 pm
Valued Member
United States
306 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2021  11:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Scuba1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Based on your total picture of the obverse, it appears to be blistered plating on the neck, collar and the beard line which appears to follow upwards towards the bottom of the ear. Without clearer pics of the area in question I'd have to say it is plating blisters. I'm not seeing a defined doubled ear as Rothery's picture shows which is prominent on this year DDO/Doubled Ear. Just my opinion.

Edit: But, I just noticed the 8 in the date which looks very odd and may be a variety DDO as well. There are numerous DDO's for this year and most show doubling on the numbers of the date. Just FYI. Check out Coppercoins.com to see if you may have a match. Maybe so, maybe not, but the 8 caught my attention.
Edited by Scuba1
04/15/2021 11:20 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
5623 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2021  11:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a plating blister is opening up under the eight. Zinc rot soon to follow.
ša va bien aller

Pillar of the Community
United States
1509 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2021  12:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Daves Errors to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think its damage on the ear But looking at the 8 & 4 its looking kind like the DDO-003 on coppercoin Need better pictures.http://coppercoins.com/lincoln/dies...ie_state=lds
Valued Member
United States
306 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2021  12:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Scuba1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Without seeing clearer pictures to tell what you have, and to see if there is in fact a plating blister under the 8 which I am not seeing, here is a picture from Coppercoins.com to explain what I am seeing in the date of your coin. This is an example of Coppercoins 1DO-006. Not worth a lot but it may very well be a minor variety and worth throwing in a 2x2 and keeping for your collection. Only you can tell with this coin in hand unless you post extremely clear and detailed pictures where we can possibly help you. Hope this helps.

Edit: Sorry Dave, my post crossed yours. 003 does look like more of a match.
Edited by Scuba1
04/16/2021 12:17 am
Valued Member
United States
255 Posts
 Posted 05/02/2021  10:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dbroo1999 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everyone, I have not been on in a while but I have kept this penny and will look at the copper coin information to see if I have a match. Again thanks for all the help.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50636 Posts
 Posted 05/02/2021  10:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 1983 & 1984 Were the most over polished dies as there were so many die clashes on those years. To keep the dies going, they keep giving a lot of polishing on them. Note the devices on the reverse of your coin are showing this extreme die polishing. No premium for this just something to know about, so you can move on to the next coin. Spenders
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 234Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.48 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05