Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Should I Expand My Coin Binder To Include Varieties?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 422Next Topic  
Canada
38 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2021  3:51 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Canadianpennyman to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi all,
When I started collecting, I was trying to find one coin from each denomination (1c, 5c, etc) for each year. I've mostly finished that and am considering evolving my binder to include spaces for each variety. My concern is that I will have spots in my binder that I could reasonably never hope to fill because those varieties are so rare. How does everyone else structure their collecting? Do you use binders? Do you have spots for all varieties? Where do you cut it off?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
915 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2021  4:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JohnWayne007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It all boils down to personal preference, I have individual collections for different things.

Me personally 98% of my collection is all Canadian doubled die varieties almost exclusively from almost every year and denomination, the other 2% of my collection is just two seprate ones of normal mint state business strikes and proof sets. I dont like to keep them all in one folder/collection as I find it hard to keep organized that way IMO.
Aggressively searching Canadian Small Cents on a daily basis since 2018.

Some of my Discoveries.
1941 George VI 1 Cent DDO http://goccf.com/t/367977
1976 Queen Elizabeth II 1 Cent DDO http://goccf.com/t/373627
1970 Queen Elizabeth II 1 Cent DDR http://goccf.com/t/364301
1989 Belize 25 Cent's with a Doubled Die Reverse http://goccf.com/t/362747
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3614 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2021  4:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I may be a poor person to ask for an opinion on whether to include "varieties" into your collection. I am almost exclusively a Vicky Large Cent variety collector, so I collect any of these anomalies that are easily seen with bare eyes or 4-6X max. I agree with 007 above, in that you should decide what you want to include. If I collected modern, post-1920 coins, I would include most of the popular varieties if they were due to change of fonts, monarch portrait, spacings between the design with the rim or beads/denticles, and letter or digit spacings, etc. It just depends on how deep you want to wade into the variety waters. If there are some nice offset doublings, they are nice to have, whether or not they are a variety or an error. I wouldn't leave open spots for some mint-manufactured oddities that were not for circulation, for example any "dot" coins and the like. Expand as far as you want, or not.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1229 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2021  5:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add purelywasted to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am in a similar boat to you, I'm going full set Canadian circulation coins, initially I did not include any varieties, only the regular issues, for example 1907 and 1907H large cents, but not 1859 and 1859 DP9's. Over time I have slowly added varieties that come into my collection like 1965 SB P5/B5, LB P5/B5. Like Okiecoiner said, there are so many to include and I am not overly interested in many of them.

Some I would never purchase unless I come across them cheap/cherry pick/lucky, like a 1909 5c Cross-Bowtie. I was lucky with the 1909, but may sell that to get something I am more interested in, like silver dollars.

I use binders with hard plastic pages that hold PCGS/NGC slabs, which I then put either PCGS/NGC, ICCS flips, 2x2 quadrums or 2x2 coin flips. For more modern coins, 1967'ish+ I use 2x2 quadrums and hard plastic pages that fit them. I really like how it looks with loonies and toonies. All of this is a work in progress. This can take quite a bit of space, even with putting more valuable stuff in a safe. As an example, my penny collection needs four 3" binders, if I was using boxes or 2x2's only, it would take much less, but would involve cracking many coins out their slabs or putting coins in different places.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3614 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2021  6:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
BTW, I use 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 holders for all my coins large cent and below. The holders are cheaper and 30 fit on a page in an album instead of only 20 for 2X2's. I still have room to write what I want on the holder by writing small. You use up only half the albums and pages that way.
Valued Member
Canada
77 Posts
 Posted 04/28/2021  07:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cedargrove to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Absolutely I would suggest making room for the varieties. I started the same as you about 8 years ago, but quickly expanded to varieties and some errors. I still have some blank spots, but it's an awesome feeling when you fill a spot, especially if found in circulation.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
802 Posts
 Posted 04/28/2021  08:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add loonielewy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cool thinking on all accounts. My collection started with getting all circulation coins from my birthdate to present. Almost full, but the can of worms it has opened up includes varieties and going back to my Dads birth year, which also covers my Mom. Fine by me. You do you and have fun.
"We are poor little lambs...who have lost our way...Baa...Baa...Baa"

In memory of those members who left us too soon...
In memory of Tootallious March 31, 1964 to April 15, 2020
In memory of crazyb0 July 27 2020. RIP.
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 422Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.55 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05