Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Have A Question About Distilled Water

First page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 38 / Views: 3,606Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member
United States
83 Posts
 Posted 04/27/2021  04:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coins2020 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry and my next question is I have 5 silver eagles from 1997 from the Littleton company and 4 have a golden toning and the packaging is really faded on the front side like a grayish blue were as the back is like the dark blue and you can tell both sides of the coin are toned . Should I remove them and dip them in acetone?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
45110 Posts
 Posted 04/27/2021  04:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you mean get rid of the toning, then no.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
United States
83 Posts
 Posted 04/27/2021  04:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coins2020 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you john1 . I'm still learn the ins and outs of coin collecting. But I think I will take out my silver rounds out of there original sales baggie dip them and encapsulate them..
Learn More...
United States
113480 Posts
 Posted 04/27/2021  10:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
So would acetone help make a toned coin look newer ?
Acetone usually has no effect on toning. Its purpose is to remove organic contamination.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8820 Posts
 Posted 04/27/2021  1:21 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
totally agree with jbuck's comment, acetone only has an affect on the color when it removes something that has been on a coins surface long enough to cover the coin and let the exposed areas turn or change color, then removing the contaminant leaves a spot underneath where it was unexposed all that time. Something akin to moving furniture after a few years on carpet, notice how nice the areas where the piece was moved from, suddenly seem. Just a warning if you are dealing with large or spotty areas on a coin.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, Early American Coppers Member (EAC) #6202, Colonial Coin Collectors Club (C4), Conder Token Collector Club (CTCC), & Numismatic Bibliomania Society (NBS) Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Edited by westcoin
04/27/2021 1:21 pm
Valued Member
United States
128 Posts
 Posted 04/28/2021  01:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jonnin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
the key is the 100% pure. It is sold as nail polish remover, with various random phrases like "professional", "extra strength" and so on. Its still the same stuff, if its 100%. It probably is cheaper at the hardware store, though.
be careful what you use it with, it dissolves some types of plastic in a hurry, including some coin protectors. Be sure its dry before you try to seal it up. I dissolved most of an entire floor tile in my dorm at college when my room-mate threw up and it was handy so I 'cleaned' with it.
Valued Member
United States
83 Posts
 Posted 04/28/2021  03:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coins2020 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not sure if the coins I have are artificial or natural will the acetone remove the junk if not natural?
Valued Member
United States
83 Posts
 Posted 04/28/2021  04:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coins2020 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry meant to say toned .
Valued Member
United States
83 Posts
 Posted 04/28/2021  05:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coins2020 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just to make sure 100% acetone but the nail polish kind?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3952 Posts
 Posted 04/28/2021  05:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Correct 100% acetone you get from the hardware store. Only use it in a glass bowl
Valued Member
United States
83 Posts
 Posted 04/30/2021  05:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coins2020 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok so I think I may not have asked or was not answered . Will the acetone remove artificial toning on silver coins ?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
45110 Posts
 Posted 04/30/2021  07:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Probably not.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
United States
83 Posts
 Posted 05/01/2021  05:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coins2020 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you John1 . Just wanting to know because I have some at least to me beautiful toned coins . I also hy a few in packaging that the packaging is well worn in their color but coins are beautiful.
Valued Member
United States
128 Posts
 Posted 05/01/2021  1:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jonnin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
acetone removes fingerprints (but not corrosion from OLD prints), dirt, oil, dust, general things like that.
it does not do any chemistry (unless you have a plastic coin) to the coin that would reverse oxidation or other such damage eg acidic, base rinse, plating, whatever. So it will not likely touch any toning, as that is the result of some sort of reaction that has altered the metal itself.

Just to make sure 100% acetone but the nail polish kind?
if it is 100% it is correct. It does not matter what they labeled it to be used FOR, its the same 100% stuff. Its like water... you can label it for cleaning, cooking, drinking, watering a plant, ... its the same thing. If they put something IN it for a specific use, its not 100%, so that is that.
Edited by jonnin
05/01/2021 1:53 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
8820 Posts
 Posted 05/01/2021  2:41 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nail Polish Remover can have and often does add, perfumes, coloring, and other impurities that we don't want on coins or metals, just go to the hardware store, if they don't have it, Xylene is a good second choice and almost the same as acetone in our applications. Both usually comes in a steel can of around 1 liter. or a quart. If both acetone and xylene are available take the acetone (see below on why).

You don't need to go and spend crazy money at a scientific lab supply shop for 99.99% pure Acetone. It's not going to change anything of be any better for our use on coins, except you spend 3 times or more of your money on it. Any hardware store (Home Depot, Lowe's ACE, etc.) and places like Walmart usually have it, it shouldn't be tough to find.

This is a really good read on why acetone is much better to use and safer than xylene.

http://www.differencebetween.net/sc...e-vs-xylene/

Bottom line is xylene is much more hazardous to your health in the long run and do serious damage to your nervous system.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, Early American Coppers Member (EAC) #6202, Colonial Coin Collectors Club (C4), Conder Token Collector Club (CTCC), & Numismatic Bibliomania Society (NBS) Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 38 / Views: 3,606Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.37 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: